1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vbox in a short bed super duty

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DirtyJerzey, Nov 4, 2010.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

I have been told that the leaf springs in all short bed super dutys need to be upgraded to handle more weight if you plan on putting a vbox in the back. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

run it, no worries:drinkup:

3. fci

fci Senior Member

a loaded v box is going to weigh 3500-4500 lb check the ford web site for your truck specs : cab, engine, SRW or DRW and see what the payload is. I always have spring helpers on our trucks we always carry a lot of weight. and if your truck is level DOT may pass on pulling you over. Most trucks are over weight with a v box and a plow.

4. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

I can't ever recall seeing DOT out during a storm... Other than seeing a few of their trucks sitting in snow banks though...

5. Rumble

Rumble Member

I have a 06 f350 short bed with stock suspension. I run a vbox loaded with no problems.

trucksander3.JPG

6. Rumble

Rumble Member

Another shot with the plow on and cover over the vbox

trucksideplow1.JPG

7. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

I have a 06' F-250 supercab short bed with a 1.5 tornado in it that I load to the lids all the time. Everything with the suspension is stock except for aftermarket rancho rs5000's i installed all the way around. When completely loaded, the back sags slightly but nowhere near like the front of a chevy...lol :cool:

8. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

Hmm, pictures dont lie and that truck looks perfectly fine. I was thinking of doing a helper spring or at least timbrens on the back. Thanks for the input guys

9. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

Heres a picture from a storm in Febuary 2010. My Tornado 1.5 was about 3/4 full at the time, its not the best angle but you can see the trucks still pretty level.

Amo 141.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010