1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vbox gas motor size recomendations please

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Moonlighter, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Hey all, last year I picked up a used SS air flow 8' vbox for $700 bucks, I have been going through it slowly fixing it up, cause I won't be using it until next year. I went through the motor last night and came to the conclusion that I will have to replace it, it was not maintained very well and there was salt left all over it that has compromised all the metal. It is a 9hp B&S Intek motor, what I am asking is for recommendations for the new motor. Should I stay with a 9hp B&S or maybe go up in size to like a 11 or 12 hp, and are there any big issues with the B&S versus Honda or Kawasaki that I may need to know about. I have herd Honda motors have some fuel bleed down issues, but I have not confirmed it yet. Thanks in advance for your help and opinions, and let it snow snow snow this year.
  2. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

My v box had an 8 hp on it. It locked up in the middle of winter. I stuck a 12 hp Briggs on it just because it was what I could find at the time. I got it brand new from Tractor Supply for cheap. I don't notice any power or performance difference between the motors. Any motor around that size will work fine. I'd personally stick with Briggs due to the cheap prices and availability of parts.
  3. SGC08

SGC08 Member

My personal opinion, you should be fine with the briggs. Mine has been flawless on my spreader. I think the Honda will out last it but I can tell you that they have their issues as well. I have several pieces of equipment with Honda engines and they all leak massive amounts of fuel into the crankcase if you don't turn the gas off when transporting them. I can't tell you how many times my guys didn't turn the fuel off and then can't start a generator or air compressor because it's flooded. Then you check the oil and it's overflowing because it leaks past the rings into the crankcase. They also seem to start harder in the cold. JMO
  4. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

my tarco highlander jr has a 11 hp briggs. works great, starts right up, i dont shut the fuel off when im plowing and no flooding issues. i myself like briggs because the parts are alot cheaper than honda parts and everyone sells briggs parts. i never had any problems i always change the oil and keep fresh gas and they always run. id say 9 hp would be fine as mine never really works that hard.
  5. shovelman

shovelman Member

Just put a 13 hp briggs on my airflow v box last week it was cheaper to buy a 13 then a 9 hp fits right in there if you want pics i can get you some
  6. Moonlighter

Thanks guys, very good information and points. Shovelman I would like to see the pics of it if you don't mind sending them my way.
  7. shovelman

shovelman Member

the old then the new mounted on all stainless mount from 9hp to a 13hp :mechanic:

8. shovelman

shovelman Member

changed exhaust hole an put stainless expanded metal on hole for looksprsport

9. Moonlighter

Looks really good shovelman thanks for the pics, your old one looks just like the one I tore off lol. I am now debating if I should replace the gasser or make the switch to electric since I have to replace pretty much all the working guts of it. It still needs a new gear box, electric clutch and bearings. From what i have looked into for about the price of the new gasser I can convert it to an electric system and not have to bother with a new electric clutch and no headaches. I am still working on all the figures and research. Thanks again for all the help and pictures. Brian