1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Various "generations" of LED's?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Hubjeep, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Can anyone explain the different "generations" of LED's? I remember the old lightheads that were comprised of 40+ LED's packed together, since then most have fewer, brighter LED's.

I have seen lights advertised with "Gen 3" for a while, now I see 4th, "next". Also Whelen "super". Also see lights advertised with LED wattage. How does it all break down?

It's quite confusing when comparing lights. There is a number of LED's, but not all the same intensity, correct?

For example... these two body mount lights:
    3, 3-watt LED's ("next generation")
    http://www.strobesnmore.com/Strobes-N-More-E3-Super-LED.html

3 LED's but no mention of wattage ("super")
    http://www.strobesnmore.com/Whelen-TIR3-Super-LEDs.html

I have no idea which is "brighter" (or are they the same?), and it's very hard to use video as a comparison.

2. Tom@AWL

Tom@AWL Inactive

For the most part, there are really only 3 generations of LEDs.

Generation 1 (Gen I) LEDs are the small, tightly packed together LED clusters that you referred to:
    [​IMG]

Generation 2 (Gen II) LEDs were similar to Gen I LEDs, and didn't last too long in the market because Generation 3 LEDs were released not too long after, and were brighter/more effective.

Generation 3 (Gen III) LEDs consist of almost all popular LED emergency lighting products on the market today. These are the lights with only 2, 3, 4, or 6+ LEDs in the lights. They are extremely bright and far more effective than the previous Gen I and Gen II LEDs. Generation III LEDs include both TIR and Linear type lights:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are a lot of companies out there who claim to have Gen 4 or 5 LEDs out there. The truth is they're most likely just Gen III lights with a different reflector on them.

It can be quite confusing, but just know that most lighting products today are Gen III.

Hope this helps!