1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

variable speed controller

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

i just picked up a curtis spreader, its a twin to my mini 575 anyways do u guys thinks its possiableto make a variable speed controller for this?? i know anything is possiable but...and as for the wiring harness i should just be able to run a positive and a ground to the motor right?? so if i just wanted it to run at one speed i could hook up a toggle switch and turn it on and off as i needed it???
  2. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

ANY variable speed controller can be made to work. Get any brand, they wire all the same (more or less):p
  3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I spent the extra cash for a variable speed controller on my spreader. Turned out I really never need it. I always have it set on the highest setting. I just adjust my driving speed accordingly.
  4. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Is it possible to put a variable speed controller on "any" motor? I bought a Smith electric spreader, 1.8 CY. I was told that we would burn the motor up if we put a variable speed controller on it. Is this accurate?

WOOFSPLOW Member

I don't beleive a speed controller on any motor would burn it up. A controller just limits voltage (pulses) going to motor. As long as max voltage is within capacity of motor it should be fine. Just an assumption on my part:waving:
  6. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

"so if i just wanted it to run at one speed i could hook up a toggle switch and turn it on and off as i needed it???

Keep in mind these spreader motors use a lot of current. Our old Myers tailgate spreader was over 30 amps. A simple toggle switch will burn up.
  7. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Most of the electric motors on the small spreaders are in the 20 - 30 amp range. If equiped with the proper switch / wire gauge and fuse you should not have any problems. If you want to make it a "variable" speed you can add a potentiometer(sp) or a pot as some call it. This allows a range of current to flow to the electric motor therefore giving you a speed range ( rpm ) on the motor. This will not burn up the motor. If you just install a switch for ON- OFF use then the motor is going to run a max speed.

Hope this helps explain it....
  8. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

You won't be able to find a "pot" that can handle 20-30 amps. You will need a variable speed controller, made specifically for a 12V DC motor at the proper current rating.

WOOFSPLOW Member

10. Mac

Mac Member

You can do it with a large rheostat, however the price would be large too. When a rheostat is in series with the armature of a motor, the current in the rheostat produce a voltage drop which is subtracted from the fixed supply voltage causing the speed of the motor to drop. However the efficiency of the motor will be very low, around 20 percent at lower speed (If I can remember right). The best way is to use pulse width modulation (pwm). PWM has a efficiency of 98 to 99 percent efficiency depending on which switch method is used.