1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

valve tapping?...or worse?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dirt digger, Nov 6, 2006.

1. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

another one of those "tempermental things" that of course when i take the truck to the shop they can't figure out whats wrong, Anyway it sounds like theres a pinging or a tapping when under acceleration, going up a hill, or even at highway speeds mostly around 3000rpm. It almost sounds like the valves are tapping but it doesn't do it all the time. I'm concerned maybe my oil pump is going because I have a buddy who heard similiar noises right before his old truck sent a rod flying through his engine block. any ideas?
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

sounds more like the valves are pinging due to your timing being off a notch or your fuel doesn't have enough octane. What year is the truck, if it's an older one, it could be very likely that you bumped the distributor while you were under there.
  3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

My 2001 F250 is doing that as well. I tried 93 octane gas and it did nothing. Will be something checked out by the stealer next time it is. I want to get it fixed while i have the warranty on it. I hear many similar aged Fords that sound the exact same. my neighbor has a 1002 Expedition that does the same thing..
  4. jbone

jbone Senior Member

What kind of truck, motor, year? Cant really answer much with the info youve given. If you think it may be the oil pump a shop should be capable of checking that. Has there been any work to the truck recently. Like said above: the timing could be off if the distributor was hit, you may not have high enough octane fuel, you may not be getting enough fuel which could cause detonation which could be the noise you are hearing. If its only doing it at certain rpm's I doubt it would be mechanical (something like a hung valve, lifter, etc) It could be leaning out due to a computer prob. Im no expert and could be completely wrong. Like I said we need more info.
  5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

its a 97 Nissan truck...no recent work except for I had to get under there this weekend and re-weld an exhaust bracket on. But the noise was happening before that. The thing has 96K on it, but at the same time I've seen trucks just like it wih 140K on them.
  6. nichols

nichols Member

Check for exhaust leaks. If you have a pinhole leak in one of the headers, sometimes it sounds like the tapping you'd get from a valve.