1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

valve or soleniod

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by terrapro, Aug 28, 2008.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

when my plow is hooked up it will kill a brand new battery within a couple days. the following are strange quirks ive found might be the cause or symptoms.

my plow used to work only when the ignition is on but now it will work when the keys dont even need to be in it to work. that i think happened last season when my driving lights wouldnt work so i was messing with the wiring under the dash(never did get my lights to work). my down valve on the block will get very hot so i will keep it unplugged when not using it. if i unhook the positive from the battery and then connect it back up i can here a solenoid clicking on and off.

plow is an old chain lift Boss 8.2 V with an under the hood system. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's killing the battery because the power wire for the plow harness is connected to something thats hot all the time and your leaving the plow controller in the float position all the time.

Which is the main reason you only want the controller to have power when the truck is on in the first place, keeps the operator from killing the battery (and eventually frying the drop coil from the excessive heat you noticed) by leaving the controller in the float position.

Moving the power wire to an outlet that only has 12V when the key is in the run position will solve your drain issue, since even if you leave the controller in float it wont have any power to kill the battery with the key off.

Ignition hot power wire for the harness should be a single black wire.

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

wow, thanks for the very in depth reply. i completely understand now, it all makes sense.

thanks again for the reply. i will go see if that works.