1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Valve housing sealant

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by plowcrack, Feb 24, 2012.

1. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

Got an old Isarmatic Mark IIIa, pre 1989. Did valve adjustments last year and when done smeared a bunch of silicone caulk around the housing seams and cable entry points. NO water intrusion buddy believe me. Well she needs some more adjustment today and getting that old caulk off is a real peckerwood. I took every last bit off and got her good n clean. What salant should be used if I got to get in quick. A silicone grease or regular grease maybe?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ultra Black Sealer. You can get it from any Auto Store.

My neighbor/mechanic turned me onto it. Basically if he takes an inspection cover off a rear axle, he never replaces the gasket and only uses Ultra Black. I though he was nuts until he looked at my rear end of one of my trucks and I haven't had a leak since.

After that I use it for lots of sealing applications.

Same stuff generally recommended for Water Pump re-installations also.

3. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

Ok, the permatex stuff. Gona get a tube tomoro. Thanks.

4. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

Got it. slickin her up tonite and thanks for the tip....

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

No problem, stuff works great so you shouldn't have any problems.