1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Valve Adjustment

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ff11979, Jan 26, 2008.

1. ff11979

ff11979 Junior Member
    from alabama

Does anybody know the correct procedures on adjusting the valves on Vortec heads. Ive got a 350 with vortec heads in my truck, wasnt sure if there is a different procedure on these particular heads. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Do you know the procedure for adjusting the valves on a non Vortec head?....if so, the Vortecs are exactly the same. :)

3. ff11979

ff11979 Junior Member
    from alabama

Its been a while.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's the way I do them...works on any Chevy with adjustable rockers and hyraulic lifters.

Start with the number one cylinder. (Of course this is the first one on the driver side on a Chevy)

Turn the engine over until you see the number one cylinder exhaust valve JUST START to move from the closed position to open. You may need to turn the motor over a couple of times to reach this point, but do not turn any further.

Start with the intake valve.

Loosen the rocker arm adjustment nut until you feel some obvious lash or clearance in the adjustment.

Using the thumb and index finger of one hand, grasp the intake push rod below the rocker arm and turn it back and forth (clock-wise and counter clock-wise successively to be sure there is no remaining pressure on the push rod from the rocker arm.

Using the other hand, while continuing to spin the pushrod, with a 5/8 socket and ratchet tighten the rocker arm adjustment nut slowly until you feel a slight resistance of motion on the push rod.

This will be the zero lash adjustment point. For hydraulic lifters, I like to tighten the rocker arm adjustment nut only a 1/2 turn instead of the factory recommended 3/4 turn. Seems to work best in most cases.

Turn the engine over until the intake valve opens and then is almost closed.

On the exhaust valve, repeat these same steps for the exhaust valve adjustment.

Repeat this procedure for each cylinder. Be sure to do each cylinder sequentially, either following the firing order (1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2), following the cylinders numerically (1-3-5-7, 2-4-6-8, or in the case of a V8 doing one side of the engine at a time. I prefer to do one side of the engine at a time.