1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Value of truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kollerman, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Guys, I have a question for everyone. I have been doing snow removal now for about 3 years. It has just been removing snow from sidewalks and driveways for residential customers and a few smaller business owners. I would really like to upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck and plow for next year and expand my services.

My father called me today, since he knows I have been casually looking around, and told me to look at this truck that he found on the internet:

This is pretty much exactly the truck that I would want. I would prefer an extended cab (in order to take the family around as well when I am not plowing), but I would take a regular cab cause my 1500 ext cab sierra that I already have, has been paid off for a while.

I really like the truck and the plow, but just can't get over how much they are asking for this truck. Yeah the truck only has 22,500 miles on it, but it is a 2003 6.0L regular cab. I looked up the KBB on this and the suggested retail was only $14,900. Am I looking at this wrong or do all you think they are asking a lot for this truck as well?

If so, how much would you consider this truck to be worth? What would be a reasonable offer to extend to them?

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

That is way too much. I would say 17k would be a generous offer, but 16ish would be better. I would keep looking.
  3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i wouln't pay more than the resale. if something happens to the truck insurance is only going to cover resale or if you decide to sell it your in a pickle. looks like a nice truck offer them resale price. it sucks owning more than the trucks worth.
  4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Way to much money for that truck!
  5. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

If you are willing to pay the retail value of the truck based on KBB I would meet with him and take a print out of the BB value and tell him you will go NO higher than that. If this guy thinks that someone will give him more for a truck than what a BB is suggesting for retail, I seriously want some of what he's smoking.
  6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Also take a look at www.nada.com for values. This is the retail book that dealers use. They should have no more than clean trade in it after service and everything. We don't use KBB to buy or sell cars. All dealers use NADA so they will be very familiar with it.
  7. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Thanks guys. I thought I was looking at this correctly. I also went to the nada.com site and put the info on the truck in. The clean trade value on this truck showed up at $15,625 with clean retail at $18,925.

I think I will give them a call tomorrow and talk to them about it. It just puzzles me as to why they would have this listed this high. Oh well, we'll see what they say tomorrow.
  8. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

Got my 2002 2500hd regular cab for 8k. Same plow, boss 8.2 vee, only thing different is mine had 130k miles. But still you get my point....too much payup for that truck
  9. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

So the 22K price includes the plow for just over 3K above the clean retail from nada.com. From the pics, the plow looks to be in pretty decent shape too. You would be hard pressed to find that plow for less than 3K. At this point of the winter, I don't think they will come down too much. If it's still there in April...