1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Value of Fluid Film in the forums.

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by Dano50, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Hey Guys, if you think Fluid Film has increased its brand recognition because of forum sponsorship I'd love to hear from you. Have you ever turned anyone on to Fluid Film because of seeing it in here? Got a dealer to purchase? Discovered new applications?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

It was between LawnSite, and Plowsite, but together it turned me on to FF.

Personally though, (and honestly) I don't feel it's quit all cracked up to the hype, but, it does work extremely well for what I use it for which is light rust protection in the cab and under the hood of the truck.

I also use it as a breaker, and to hit my quick couplers for my salt spreader to keep them as as free as possible. Also works great for loosening up my hedge trimmers when they are gunked up with yew/juniper sap.

The only drawback is the price, and I can't justify spraying my whole truck from top to bottom with it.

Overall, to comment on your statement, I think yes, these forums does help sell the product.

3. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

I bought a gallon since getting the sample product

and have told a few colleagues about it because of what I learned on this forum.

I like it, from the way it smells to the way it protects my stuff. I played 20 questions with the boys to see if they could guess what it is. They got as close as "it comes from sheep"! I've wiped my FF covered hands on my Wheaten Terrier to make his coat snow repellent--it worked great and hasn't snowed since!

Can FF be used as wax on the trucks exterior or is it different than the product you sell for that purpose?

I'm still trying to work out the best application method. So far the little yellow electric spray gun from harbor freight isn't working in the cold weather. I'll try my big wagner airless sprayer next. I guess I could heat the fluid or maybe thin it with water?

4. Dano50

from CA

I love the application for the dog! The best way to apply is with an airless paint sprayer. Your Wagner will work perfect. Up around 2,000 psi and you will get the perfect amount of product on the surface. Fluid Film can be used as a car wax. As far as it being better than traditional car waxes, I can't really answer that because we've never looked in depth at that application.

5. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Love the product, but really don't use it, partially because of the forum. When a product is so differently priced north of the border than south of it, and it seems there is no interest from the company in trying to equal it, than why support that company? There are other similar products out there, often more readily available in better price ranges, so I use them instead.

Maybe someday if your company sees fit to change it's structure so the pricing can be adjusted, rather than forcing Canadians to sneak it across the border to get a reasonable price, I'll rethink what I use.

6. Dano50

from CA

The price difference for products in general are different between US and Canada. I think it just becomes more pronounced because US prices are shown so often in this forum.

7. greywynd

Yea, okay. Some things we put up with.....in the case of FF though, why should I pay extra when I can get very similar products for a decent chunk of change less? Dano, you've been on some of these threads before, you know what we're talking about.

8. Dano50

from CA

I know, but I really don't want to see this thread turn into the cost difference again. I have zero control over Canadian costs. Our Canadian distributor began selling Fluid Film out of his garage. He put a lot of time, money, and effort into promoting it in Canada and getting it where it is now.

The real advantage of the product is its longevity. You know how long it lasts and how little product is needed to make it work. That is what makes it so valuable.

9. greywynd

Well then maybe you can speak to the corporate guys, see if they can help him get the price point down to where it's comparable? Not really sure where the promotional costs come into it, as any product like this requires advertising, and to be honest, I've never seen any here.

And as I said in my first post, I think it's a great product. I would use it.....if I could buy it for a comparable price to other products locally, but I can't. Fortunately guys like yourself have shown me that it is available cheaper elsewhere, and there are also similar products available here for a much better price, so that is what I use. You were asking if forum participation has increased it's brand recognition? I'd say yes, in that here in Canada it's a great, although way overpriced product.

10. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I never heard of or used it until I saw this forum. I've heard of and used WD40, LPS and other products
    I showed it to a guy who sprays his vehicles with WD40 and he was not interested to change because of price.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I was introduced to it from the forum...actually when you first came to us I was one of the originals to get a sample to try and loved it. Had you not come to this site I probably never would have heard of it, and I introduced several people in several vocations to it from the additional sample cans I got.

I used WD40 for a long time, but it is not anywhere near this product, nor was it designed to be. You have to judge the value of any item for yourself- my time is more valuable to me than respraying/coating an item as often as white lithium or WD40 requires.

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Since I found FF on this site ,I'm now on a 12 step recovery program to stop spraying everything with FF. Keep up the good work with PS and FF Dano!

13. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Have used FF before but Plowsite enforced the decision to use the product.

14. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I use it for a lot of things. I never knew it existed until I saw Dano promoting it on this forum.

15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Dano, I already received my sweet Fluid Film T shirt so there's no reason to "suck up to you" LOL. I found out about this product from a dealer a few years ago. Since then I must have turn about 10-15 people onto it who use it religiously for plowing. I can't believe the condition of our 06 Extreme V, the only rust is on some of the hose fittings.....Thats it! Every other nut and bolt still look like they're brand new. The entire plow gets sprayed and wiped down with FF a couple times a season, we also spray down the underneath and rocker panels and cab corner's. Our trucks do plowing and salting since new and there is absolutely no rust on anything. I can't say enough good things about it, I don't really use it for anything else but rust prevention on all of our equipment. I do wish it was a bit cheaper, we're paying 9.95 for a can which doesn't last too long. I kind of wish it was around the price of Endura which is about 5 bucks a can.

16. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have only recently discovered it based on plowsite and lawnsite and so far impressed me. I definitely think that a forum has big impact on certain product and their success rate, especially when in this case I have never heard anything bad about fluid film (aside from price)

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We would not be spraying all of our equipment with Fluid Film if it wasn't for Dano. I have roughly 25 gallon of bulk on hand and 4 cases of cans. You guy all talk about price, I could care less about what it costs because the money it saves me over the long I just can't afford not to use it. Canadian or American prices the stuff is cheap. A pickup at most will take 2 litres and even if it cost you $40 to do it how can you not justify it with the cost of equipment now a days.

18. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I was introduced to FF on here, with a sample can coming in the mail! I ended up buying two cases and split 12 cans a piece with a friend of mine. Once he saw the sample can in action he was hooked too. I've had my truck undercoated with FF twice before, but it didn't last as long as i had hoped. Could be it wasn't applied heavy enough, or I just blast off the underneath of my truck too often! At any rate it is a great product and your sponsorship on this forum got me going on it as well as the others I've referred. Thanks!

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Learned about FF here. Great stuff, haven't seen a substitute come even close to what it does. Have told many a friend, neighbor, and customer about it. Even though my company doesn't sell it, I still tell people about it.

20. great white

great white Member
    from Canada

I've used it.

I like it.

Great undercoating.

Very effective.

Not price competitive with alternatives (like Krown) in Canada.

It's more expensive (or the same price) buying FF in the can (gallon or bigger cans, not aerosol) than having Krown applied by the dealer.

Since the purchase price of FF equals the applied price of Krown, it's a no brainer. I don't even have to get dirty applying Krown.

If FF came in less expensive than having Krown applied, I would buy FF and deal with the mess of "home application" for the savings and equivalent (or better) protection.

Like I said, just not competitive to justify the cost in Canada.

Your distributor might have brought it in on his own, but it's also killing you in this market.

Your product, your corporation, your prerogative if you want to stick with your distributor.

But know that you've got a good product that's being marginalized by it's price point in Canada.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011