1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Value of 01 Cummins Dually.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Mark13, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I stopped to look at a truck today and am kinda sorta interested in it but only if I can get it for a really good price.

01 Cummins dually, SLT, 5.9/24v Cummins, NV5600 Trans, 4x4 (shift on the floor), has 4.10 gears. Has 277,400mi on it.

Problems I noticed:
    -Needs all 6 tires
    -Front sway bar bushings are junk/missing
    -Muffler smashed/loose
    -Rust on the bottom of the doors and where the cab guard meets the deck of the bed
    -Heat only comes out of defroster no matter where the switch is at
    -Missing bolts from the plow mount (holes still line up though)
    -Drivers and back seat have rips in them.
    -Front end is a little loose, not to bad though
    -Fuel pump assembly isn't screwed onto the tank, more or less just sitting on it crooked
    -Trans likes to grind going into gears, and is hard to downshift. (Clutch is new and works fine though)
    -Has quite a bit of oil on the front axle,plow mount, and the front of the motor.
    -Serpentine belt needs to be replaced
    -Both batterys are of different brand, didn't look to see if they were both the same size or not

Other odds and ends:
    -No noticeable clunks or rattles
    -Started right up, no problems even at 20 degrees
    -Motor had plenty of power and no weird noises or anything, just an oil leak from the front of the motor somewhere.
    -Has a unimount mount, wiring, and handheld controller.
    -Tekonsha brake controller

What's your guess on what it's worth?

Pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

pretty truck not sure of worth sounds like it needs tranny work. id like to own it tho.

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

those motors have a oil breather on the front of the engine that drains into a plastic pos bottle. when that botlle gets full it will spray oil over the front of the motor. im not saying thats 100%the problem but it could be. in my opinion thw nv 5600's were the best manual transmsion put in a pickup. they are tricky to drive and i bet you can get it to slid in with some more seat time. they like being shifted slowly. they are very smooth. it may also need new synchros. may also need a simle fluid change but reed up on them because they need secial oil and additional oil to keep them properly lubed. that truk is one of the best vp trucks you can get with the h.0 motor and the monster dana 80 in the rear. does the truck have a fuel pressure gauge or a fass pump on it? im sure you know the lift pump go and will take the vp with it. id say that truck is worth edit 8-10k

ps i had a 01 2500 ho six speed and i loved it, nothing beats the sound of those trucks

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The trans shifted great if I shifted it slow and smooth. It was when I tried to shift it fast it would give me problems. The truck had no fuel pressure guage and no aftermarket lift pump. It would get an airdog or fass for sure put on it along with a pressure guage. I don't want to be buying a VP44.

Where would I find the little plastic bottle for the oil overflow at? If that's the problem it's been broke/full for a long time, lol

5. sno commander

from ct

right on the front of the motor slighly towards the drivers side near the belt. id make sure it doesn't have excessive blowby, im sure that truck has seen its fair share of heavy trailers. if your really interested id have a good cummins guru check it over to make sure your getting somehing decent. also check on the side of the block to make sure it doesn't have 53 stamped in.youll find the# on the drivers side below the injecton pump. there known to crack.

6. sno commander

from ct

also when the motor COLD pull the intake tube off the turbo and check the compressor wheel for any play or oil leaks.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for the tips.

I've read plenty about the 53 blocks. Being an 01 though should greatly reduce the chance of it having a 53 block correct? I believe those are most common 98.5-00 with some 01's getting them.

8. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

I have a 53 block and have had no problems with it ever, other than the lift pump, then the vp44. The sway bar link kit is about 150 bucks for that year. At least last time I looked to replace mine. Mine are still broken! The track bar / front axle locating bar goes bad on mine 2 times a year but they are under lifetime warranty. Other than that, I love my '01.

9. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Honestly, Whether you think so or not. That truck is going to need a minimum of 4,000 dollars in parts and repairs in the next 20,000 miles ONTOP of what you may pay for it. Great solid trucks once you get the right parts in em.

The mileage on that truck is very close to mine. I'm at 255K. I have the NV4500, not the 5600. I know the NV5600's aren't as picky on their fluid as the 4500's. But it's worth checking into. The best fluid I can recomend that is slightly affordable is some AMSOIL MTG. It doesn't work in my 4500, but I have real world reports of it working GREAT in the 5600's.

What do I think it will need? You say the front end is loose, but not bad. The not bad makes me think track bar and possibly a tierod end. If it was loose, but loose. I would say balljoints and trackbar. The swaybar bushings are important but cheap and easy to replace on these, go with high quality polyeurethane replacements. They'll probably be the last pair you'll buy.

After enough time with a plow on the front you'll install some timbrens, those wont be enough and you'll most likely install some upgraded front springs either from MOOG, KORE, or this other guy who's company name escapes me. Well worth the money and makes plowing and driving with these trucks enjoyable.

The heat issue is typical of these trucks. There's a few things you can try to fix it, most of them involve removing the dash. Not really worth it until the summer months.

Don't worry so much about turbo play, take a look inside the turbo for oil spray. Side to side play is acceptable to a point, front to back is NEVER ok with the HX35's. If the turbo blows, send it to me and I'll rebuild it for ya on the cheap or check out my thread in the dodge truck section and do it yourself. It's cheap and a simple job.

All in all I think you'll be very happy with that truck what it's worth...I'm not sure. I paid $10,000 bucks for my 99, 5spd, dually quadcab rustfree from texas with 199,000 miles two years ago. I'd say that trucks worth no more than that with those miles. I'd buy it for a reasonable price If I was in the market

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  10. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Oh, and you absolutely positively no questions or complaints allowed MUST purchase and install a fuel pressure guage. Especially if you buy an Airdog. You cannot own one of these trucks without one, it will cost you minimum 2000 dollars to replace a VP44. Check out ISSPRO guages, I traded in my autometer procomp set for a pair of EV Isspro guages.

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I was figuring on $2500+ in work to it.

I haven't gotten it on a lift yet to see how bad the front end is.

They are asking $10k, I offered much less, I still don't think I offered low enough. Friday I'm going to go back possibly and get it again and take it to a friends shop and put it on the lift (already asked and they were ok with me doing so). There's some more stuff wrong with it that I've remembered noticing that I didn't think of when I offered my price.

If I can get them to sell it cheap enough I'd consider it. But if they want more then about $7k for it I'm outta there. I don't need the truck, if I find out at some point I need a truck like that I'd rather find a clean southern truck with a better quality flatbed, no plow mount, etc. The miles don't really concern me being a cummins with a handshaker behind it and it wouldn't get that many miles per year put on it. And I'd rather have a 12v/ 5spd over a 24v/ 5 or 6spd due to the injection pump. I'd take a CR/G56 over both of those but I don't want to spend that much on a truck I have no use for. lol

12. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I think your 7K is a good price to start at. It's going to take them some time to realize that a few more or a few less than 8K is a GOOD price for that truck though. Pull that intake tube, find some oil, test the fuel system and find weak pressure and I'm sure you'll be able to talk em down significantly. Good luck! What makes you look at a truck you have no need for?

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The lack of snow to give me something to do. :D

I want to replace my 98 with something heavier duty and nicer. I would consider a dually but would rather have a srw 1 ton and newer and way less miles then that 01. Basically it caught my interest as something I might be interested in but probably not. If I got a good enough deal on it and still came out under book value on it after getting it all fixed I wouldn't feel to bad about having it. Especially if I was able to turn around then and resell it for a bit of a profit.

If I ended up getting a flatbed dually for my personal truck it would be more along the line of this:
    http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...xmontgomery&car_id=270131996&dealer_id=587367

14. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Alright, your justified.:D

I'm a big fan of dodge's new lineup of cab and Chassis. There's plenty of em available currently as well. I honestly think you can't go wrong with one of those trucks. Our family is planning to purchase a 5500 in May if all go's well paying our other debts off by then. We've got an addition to the family coming on Feb 11th so who knows if we will or not. Have you thought about a 45-5500? A truck you can "legitimately" sling a fullsize plow off?

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've never had a problem with dodge, I feel their interiors are not nearly as nice as GM which is what I'm used to, but their new stuff is pretty dang nice. My friend has an 07.5 cc/sb 2500 with the 6.7 and 68RFE trans. It's a pretty slick truck and runs like a raped ape with the 4" straight pipe, EGR+ Cooler delete, and Smarty Tuner. If I had to choose between two identical trucks, one being a Duramax and the other being a Cummins (talking 06 or newer on both) I'd probably have a tough time deciding. I'd probably go the way of the Cummins if it came with a fully built 48RE, lol.

I have no need for a 4500-5500 class truck. I work at a farm 3 seasons out of the year and the farm has an 05 6.0 F350 dually, a 95 Dodge 12v dually, a mid 80's medium class truck and a semi. And for plowing I sub for another company and do a little bit of stuff on my own. A 1ton dually would be pushing the limit on what I really "need" vs what would just be cool to have but end up costing me more money. A dually would be nice to have probably 5x a year when I'm actually towing quite heavy but a srw would still do the trick.

16. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

I'd come up w/ the extra 25000 if you really dont need it... less parts to replace now.

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Already got that handled, lol.

18. sno commander

from ct

id personally would rather have a 24v 6 speed vs a 12v 5 speed. long as you got fuel pressure the vp's aren't a problem.
    on another note the only downfall to the nv5600 are there hard to find parts for and expensive to repair. jut another thing to think about.

19. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Neat truck, I like those trucks too, though I'm with you on choosing the 12V before the 24V but none-the-less they are both cool trucks, it looks decent for its age and mileage too, only issue I see is plowing with a stick, I guess it depends on what kind of plowing your doing. If you are doing lots it would seem to be a PITA??? Just my opinion.

All in all I'd say its worth about 7-8k. Good luck with whatever you choose.

20. sno commander

from ct

the good thing about these trucks vs other plow trucks with a stick is they got tons of torque at idle so you can take off in 2 nd pushing snow no problem.