1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v8 to duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dryfly2, Feb 26, 2006.

1. dryfly2

dryfly2 Junior Member

currently have a 05 2500hd.was thinking of pulling out the gas gussler v8 and installing a duramax diesel.has anyone thought about this themselves or done it?and is there chassis differences to support the diesel?what's a duramax cost?

2. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

yes it can be done. I saw a guy in a magazine that put the d max in an avalanche. dont forget you have to change the tranny and rear end also. I think it would be cheaper in the long run to trade it in and get a new truck.

3. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

It would be a lot cheaper to sell it and just buy a new one.

4. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Cheaper to trade in because with the DMAX, you can trade for a truck with slightly higher milage, plus an engine swap definitely voids the warranty

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Agreed. An '05 should still have enough value to trade in towards a Duramax truck, even another '05 if necessary. The swap would be expensive (probably between $5-10k) and not really worth the hassle--not to mention no warrenty.

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You will pay close to 10k in just a wrecked truck to stuff the parts into. Swap trucks......possible but not a wise decision if your doing it from a $$$ standpoint.

And a duramax is a V 8 :D

7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Definitely possible, but definitely not worth it.

Sell yours and buy a new one, you'll love the D-Max, trust me.

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

:dizzy: Sounds like a major headache. It would be worth it if you were putting a Duramax into something like a 1500 or a vehicle that does not usually have one, but what a headache!

9. dryfly2

dryfly2 Junior Member

thanks guys ,what would i get for the trade in?its a 05 extended cab work truck model.and what do you think the same truck with a dmax cost?

10. DJC

DJC Senior Member

In this area diesel is a lot more money then gas. If you figured it out it would be cheeper to run gas for now. I don't think Diesel will ever be lower then gas now.
    But yes the Diesel is a much better motor IMO

11. dryfly2

dryfly2 Junior Member

yeah youre right diesel engines are much better. i know from experience cause im a bus mechanic. i assumed the payments for my truck from a freind who got in a financial bind. diesel here is roughly the price of premium gas.my truck only has 3800 miles on it and would like to know the trade in value?

12. Antnee77

from RI

You're really looking at about $6000+ in addition to the sticker price of your current vehicle. It really is a premium to pay for the Duramax, but IMO, it is well worth it. How about going used?

13. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Go to www.kbb.com or www.nada.com , you can find out how much your truck is worth and how much a duramax will run ya

Ivan

14. dryfly2

dryfly2 Junior Member

thanks guys ill check it out.

15. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Besides milage is there any other reason you want the duramax? Figure your milage for a year cost of diesel and the improved milage--divide into 6K It takes a long time to recoup that investment! If your towing or just like the purr of a diesel then it's worth it! JMO:) The only way economically it would work out if you had your truck for a really long time--say ten to twelve years?

16. dryfly2

dryfly2 Junior Member

well the main reason is that im a diesel/bus mechanic,and know these motors a lot better then what i consider obsolete gas engines. i work mainly on series-60 and 8v92 detroits. anyway, i love diesel engines they are far superior to gas and last a hell of a lot longer.we have an 8v92 with 750,000 miles on her. but you are right it makes a lot more sense to drop one in an older truck.

17. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

If you like diesels becasue you work on em ect and want to do a swap I would vote for a older cummins into a truck. or just buying an older cummins. Working on a duramax is alot like working on a newer gasser......lotsa electronics ect.

18. Antnee77

from RI

I agree, a Cummins is a good engine to drop in a truck, but I still can't see it being reasonable to drop a motor in a brand new truck. Just sell it and get what you really want.

19. dryfly2

dryfly2 Junior Member

yeah cummins are decent motors, we have several school buses with straight six's. i think dodge has a smaller version in theirs.you're right it would be cheaper to just buy a truck . but what fun is that?

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

With todays electronics, swapping engines is no longer feasable w/o an entire donor vehicle.

I did a little math for you....

Based on someone who puts 15K miles/year on a truck.

Gasoline @ $2.30 per gallon, and Diesel @ $2.60 per gallon.

Gas engined truck based on 10mpg and Diesel based on 18mpg.

I figured low with a $6000 upcharge for the Diesel option.

A Diesel is going to save you $1284.00 per year in fuel.

However, you'll need to keep it almost 5 years to break even.

Thats all if you drive that many miles. Could take 7-10 years to work out if you drive less.

In reality, the only person that NEEDS a diesel is someone that tows (HEAVY and OFTEN), or drives more than 15K miles per year. Or in the case of more and more guys....likes to hot rod them!!!:nod: