1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V6 Diesel?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbell36, Nov 13, 2011.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

No, not a cummins...

You guys think a smaller V8 or V6 diesel in a half-ton would make a good plow truck?

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

I don't think they would make a V-6 but they have been making 6s for years and GM made a small duramax 6. I am sure they would make a great truck if they make the front end so it could handle the added weight of the diesel and a plow...
  3. MowForReal

MowForReal Junior Member

many of mitsubishi work trucks, like the 4x4 fg, use a modest in-line 4 cylinder diesel engine.
  4. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

i plow with a half ton chevy with a 6.5 diesel (95) it works great also the plow is 7.5 western on it
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

No, you mean ISUZU made a 6 and put a duramax logo on it.

6. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

No GM DID make a 6.
  7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I want the 25 seconds of my life back that I spent reading this thread.
  8. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

A 6 cylinder diesel in a 1/2 ton to plow sounds like asking for trouble.
    To much weight on the front end if you ask me.
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

My bad.....
  10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Isuzu hasn't had interest in the Dmax company since 03. Isuzu never made the Dmax anyway. They helped design it initially in 99 and held 50% interest in the company until GM bought out their share. The Dmax has always been built in the good ol USA in a GM plant. The V6 Dmax was designed and produced long after Isuzu was out of the equasion ;)

I also don't understand how everybody (not you) acts as if Isuzu's involvement was a bad thing. They have been around for over 100 years and are one of the oldest diesel companies out there. They are quite proven to build stuff to last. I think GM made a very wise decision choosing them for the partnership.
  11. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Perhaps they are mainly familiar with Isuzu's godawful crap foisted upon the consumer car/SUV market. My wife's Isuzu Rodeo probably isn't the worst vehicle ever made, but...no wait, it may be the worst. The only decent parts of it were made by GM. Anyway, if that's someone's only experience with Isuzu then they might reasonably avoid everything Isuzu.

As far as I can tell their commercial trucks and diesel engines do not suffer from same terrible design and construction.

I am also under the impression that some of their older consumer SUVs are quite adept at gnarly off-roading.
  12. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

Today Gas $3.30 Diesel $4.19.

Love the extra power and push from Diesel. With almost a Dollar a gallon difference tough to justify the extra initial cost and operating costs.
  13. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

This is Correct. Isuzu is an awesome company, one of my buddies owns one of their marine engines and its bullet proof. The only problem with it is that he goes through a starter a year, and from what I have heard, they are known for that :rolleyes:
  14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Did you really just compare the Duramax to a Rodeo? Lol
  15. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

No, but I'm saying that I think the people who "act as if Isuzu's involvement was a bad thing" did.
  16. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Didn't Ford have a cut down 6.0 for a while? I thought it was a twin turbo V6 they were putting in the flat nose box trucks. That might have been a cool V6 diesel
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How about a 6v71?
  18. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

That's exactly what I was going to say.
  19. johnboggs21

johnboggs21 Junior Member
    from MI

I seen an older chevy that a guy put a 4-53 HT in. Seemed pretty good on power, Don't know how it would do plowing