1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v10s

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Apr 26, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

what do you guys think of v10s. As some of you guys know I sold my truck. I need a new truck asap. im still not sure if I want used or new. Now that im thinking about it, I might want used, just because I know after a year of landscaping with it, that it'll be beat to crap, therefore if its used I might not suffer as bad from it, lol.

anyway im looking at some v10's, all with below 55k miles, and 99 or newer. what do you guys think about them? to much power? gas guzzler? high maintence? to heavy? etc

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

V-10's are pigs when it comes to MPG....expect below 10 for normal non-highway driving...even worse while plowing...

Also if you are beating up a truck that bad landscaping then there is something wrong with your care of the truck... I know that trucks are ment to be worked hard, but show some respect and they will last much longer...

3. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

The V-10 is a monster and I love it. Mine though hasn't really been broken in so I couldn't tell you on MPG because its still going up. Last time I think I figured it was getting 6mpg plowing and that was an increase from when I first got it of only getting 4mpg during a similar heavy snow storm. For just cruising around I couldn't tell you because the truck is nearly always pushing snow or pulling a boat. As for up-keep its going to be cheaper then a diesel thats for sure. On the power side nothing can really stop it. My dad tows a 12,000lb boat with 200gallons of fuel in it plus the weight of trailer and generator in the boat with little effort. Only thing is if you plan on towing that much weight I would recommend the 4.10 rear end cause it does have a slight hesitation when you accelerate from a complete stop from trying to get all that weight to move but I don't think you would be pulling that weight around on a regular bases if ever.

4. PremierLand

from detroit

well i mean like dents and dings... I treat my trucks good, trust me. I washed my dakota 3 times a week and waxed it once a month. But with all work trucks, their gonna get some dings and dents no matter how hard you try.

5. PremierLand

from detroit

hmm. only problem is that i'd have to drive to NY. its not that big of a deal, but I want to make sure its the truck I want. and im not sure if i want a v10 or not. I want to know what problems they have and what problems I can expect to have with this truck and etc. it only has 41k miles, and he "says" he doesnt pull with it, and never plowed with it. heres a pic...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

As long as you dont need throaty dual exhaust sound, snag that puppy up. They are way cheaper then the diesel, pull like a fricken tank, and do okay on fuel. Lets face it the V-8s are not gas misers and on the road pullin a trailer my Hemi averages at best about 10 mpg. Im sure that v-10 will be about the same. With the price of buying a diesel, and then paying to fill up its pretty hard to justify the added cost. most guys buy the diesel because they "want a diesel". My brothers crying up the river every time he fills up his "Stroke".
    Todd

7. PremierLand

from detroit

Im gonna see how much insurance on it is tomorrow, then if its in my range ill make an offer. I was paying 250 a month for 2 trucks, so im curious to see how much this is, i know it wont be cheap.

also, why dont i ned a throaty dual exhaust? I can add an after market one cant I? or take the cat converter out and make it a straight pipe like it was in my dakota, ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM. lol

8. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

The only real cost of a diesel is the engine. Do a search for biodiesel, just as good as the petrol stuff but costs 50-77 cents a gallon. Your supporting an american farmer instead of a middle east terrorist. :nod:

9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

That truck in the pic seems really nice. I can completely understand you traveling for the right truck but you still don't know what your getting until you at the very least make a costly trip (gas) to NY to drive the truck and see its condition for yourself. You should defintatly have a mechanic look at it as well, I think you said your dad is a mechanic or used to be? Maybe he can make the trip with you to take a look at it. You then have to make the decision right on the spot unless you want to make multiple trips. I think it has to be more then a few occasional "dings" that you would put on a brand new truck while working it that keeps you from buying a new truck. If the truck in anything like the owner says, its most likely a great truck! However, it could have some things wrong with it waiting to blow up in your face after you are back in MI with the truck and out of warranty. I would just hate to see another thread like the one you posted about your other ford after you bought it "dang truck I got ripped" or something like that was the title.

10. PremierLand

from detroit

ya, it'd suck if I got their and it wasnt all it was cracked up to be. Im going to tell him tonight when I talk to him, to tell me exactly what is wrong with the truck and might be replaced and waht the body is like, because if I get their and something is messed up, ill be pist. and Ill have my bro and maybe my cousin go with me (both very well mechanically inclined) to check it out. But it seems like from what he says that it is very well taken care of and in good shape. we shall see. now I just have to see how much insurance is on it.

11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The V-10's dont sound anything like a V-8. Just dont have the rumble, must be the small cylinders or something, they just dont sound as good as a V-8. :rolleyes: .

Blade Masters It is tough as heck to find Bio Diesel around here dude, I believe there is one place that sells it In the Chicago land area. About 1.5 hours away from me, so unless Im going to burn the french frie oil Bio is not an option here yet.

Todd

12. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

This really isn't a good comparison for you but I had an 02' f-350 dump with a v-10. Towing two mowers on a landscape trailer in the summer I got 6-7 mpg. In the winter plowing, lets just say if I went easy on it I got 4-5 mpg usually 3-4, good running and pulling engine though and you would probably do a little better in a pickup. On another note, got a new chevy 1-ton dump in the fall, base engine (6.0) seems to have a little more power and got 5-7 this winter plowing, and on a trip to towing an empty trailer one way (3-4k lbs) and loaded on the way home (CAT 236 skidsteer and a sweeper) averaged 7.5 for the trip. Not outstanding by any means but a little better. Just my experience. In the end, get what you want, generally most large trucks suck the ol' petrol just somthing you have to expect.

13. PremierLand

from detroit

I got more pix of the green f250... it looks lifted, but im not sure, when i talk to him tomorrow ill find out. do you guys think it is? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  14. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Yeah that 6.8 L. V10 has small cylinders. :dizzy:
    I would agree that it sounds different from a V8, but I think it has to do with it having 10 cylinders going off so close in timing to each other that it creates more of a hum then a rumble which I personally love. :D

15. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Where in Ny is that Truck, If its not to far I may be able to help you

16. PremierLand

from detroit

Preston Hollow

17. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Where is that?

18. PremierLand

from detroit

he said its by albny

19. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Thats the complete oposite side of the state for me sorry.

20. PremierLand

from detroit

no problem, I wouldnt haveexpected for ya to go look at it. :)