1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V10 vs Diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CAMP Lawncare, Aug 28, 2006.

1. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

Im planning on getting a 3/4 or 1 ton soon but cant decide on the motor any comments?
  2. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

Well if you want power and fuel economy then go with a diesel, If you want decent power but not so great fuel mileage then go with a V-10.. I know personally I have a 95 dodge ram 2500 with th v-10 motor in it and it has plenty of nuts for what i use it for..... But the fuel mileage especially around town is terrible, So thats the reason I am looking at a diesel not to replace it ,but to use as a work truck and keep the v-10 as a personal truck. Plus diesel are know for lasting longer, they will go 2,3 hundrad thousand with out a problem.

It actually comes down to what are you going to do with it , and how much you want to spend. Good Luck.
  3. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Junior Member
    from CT

CAMP I currently have the Ford V10 (2000) and don't regret the purchase. I think I paid an extra $400 for it when I ordered my truck. The powerstroke was an extra $5000 - $6000. Then V10 has done everything I asked of it. One thing though I don't tow alot. I have hitched up some heavier loads and pulled them just fine (but it isn't a regular thing for me.)

As far as gas mileage goes I think it would be better than Chip's Dodge. The Ford v10 is only a 6.8 L the dodge was a 8.0L I believe. Then newer V10 is also has 3 valves and is supposed to be alittle more effiecent. The V10 only loses a couple of mpg over the V8 (unless you floor it :rolleyes: ) so I would take the V10 over that. The only reason I would pick the powerstroke was if I towed more often.

I am not sure what the real world maintence costs are for the marble knocker either. I am sure someone else can answer that
  4. ZRT1000

ZRT1000 Member

I just got rid of a 05 250 reg cab with a V-10 and got a 06 350 CC with the 6.0 diesel.. I took a beating on the trade in. I had a 95 F350 reg cab that I sold when I bought the 05 250, I got $10k for it when I got rid of the 05 I got $17k . What I learned is that diesels get much better mileage especially when towing and they hold there value much longer ..,
  5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I nought an '01 F250 V10 yesterday. All I can say is that it has just as much power as a diesel. I was averaging close to 15.3 coming home which was mostly highway. The way I figured it out today, solely based on mileage the diesel costs 15 cents to operate per mile getting 20 MPG at $2.99 a gallon where I filled up today. The V10 costs 18 cents at $2.79 per gallon at the same place. Not that much of a difference when you really get down to it. Did I mention I love this truck?:D
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with the diesel. In the long run, you will be happier. Diesel trucks actually run better if they are worked, not to mention the improved gas mileage. JMO:)
  7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I'm sorry but just as much power is a little pushing it! no pun intended. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the V-10 will do a great job for you. I just hope it pushes as well as the 1/2 ton Chevy you had. I plowed with both and my 1/2 ton GMC seamed to push banks back further with my 7.5' blade than the V-10 F-250 Ford with a 8' Diamond. Obviously with a smaller blade it's easier, I know. You may think I'm nuts but I just liked it better. You'll see or maybe not since you may not plow with both trucks. It's like it had very little torque and you had to use the weight of the truck to push. Hey the truck could have been a little weird who knows. It was mint, 16k miles and never ever beet.

As for Diesel for plowing there is nothing like it. They have brute force (Torque) that is need for pushing heavy deep snow, I love plowing with it.wesport It seams effortless on the truck.
  8. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

I know my 3/4 chevy is alot heavier duty than my f-550.
  9. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Had a 87 ford 350 deseil with fisher 9' great truck ran it till the body rotted off the chassis & every thing else also. Now have a 99 350 v10 bought used (last fall) installed a bliz 810 works great. Tires are not the best for snow but had no real issues last season. Power is more than enough.Between the 2 fuel cost for the season was about the same. Around here desiel runs more per gallon negating milage savings. Orginally i wanted to replace the 87 with another deseil, most I found had high millage or were really beat, generally running 3-4k or more than the = v10. Reasons I bought the v10, 85000 mi, 10k on tires, was just fully serviced, every thing on the 100ksevice list replaced or adj. ect, ( got paper work with truck guy spent 2700.oo at the dealer ship 2 mo. before i bought it) price 9k. 99 f350hd v10 auto air reg cab 4x4 manual hubs sliding rear window, basic work truck no frills. Issues: exhaust manifold bolts coulple are busted ford problem also on large v8. 7litre desil some had cooling problems (earlier ones) also cvcc unit goes bad, unless you carry a spare with a 11mm wrench to change it out you are found on road dead runs about 100 bucks for the part,+ tow +labor. Oil change costs more (large volume) also Fuel filters which should be changed at same interval. About a 3-1 cost differance. Deseils have a higher cost maintenance up front but averages out in the long run. sorry for the lomg wind.
  10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL. They have so much more power and torque and way better resale. Gas engines cant push snow banks like a Diesel can.
  11. DeereFarmer

OK, OK, you are right. Power wise the diesel is better, especially torque wise. I got a little too excited about the new truck. I doubt that I will ever push like the 1/2 ton. That truck is suck a tank, especially with the rear locker. It was just amazing, but I needed a bigger truck overall for year round work. You are right about the diesel! If you can't justify the use of a diesel day in and day out, the V10 is a good SECOND chioce!:D

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if your not doing alot of towing or putting on alot of miles i dont think the deisel
    is worth the extra money. the motor an extra 5gs plus the city mileage isnt much better than a gasser.and if your thinking 6.0l ps the motor has reliablity issues.
    i have a excursion v10 can get over12 on the highway.

13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You know a was kind of a dic k. LOL

I hope your truck runs great and better than your old one. Keep your foot out of it and it shouldn't bee to bad on gas. I would be interested on just how good you can get going 55 for lets say 100 miles all highway. I know it is life threatening going that slow and getting the finger from all the speed demon's.
  14. DeereFarmer

15. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

That's way better than I expected.. :drinkup:
    I was getting an average of 15 all around with my half ton with the 5.3. I had 285's so it was a little off. Maybe 16-17 max average. 18 Highway.

I bet your darn close to that if you go easy.:rolleyes:

Want to feel good ?...Guys running the Chevy 6.0 are averaging 12 MPG. So I have heard.:mad:
  16. DeereFarmer

Mu Unlce just bought a brand new 2500HD crew cab shortbed and he is averaging 12 no matter what he does. I am about to empty the tank and the average is close to 14.4 still with mostly around town. Once the tank is empty I am going to baby it down the highway and see what I can do. What I like is that this truck coasts forever. It seems like you hardly ever have to get on the gas while on the highway. It gets up to 70 real quick and wants to go faster... so Iet it lol!:nono:
  17. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

Thanks for all the info its so hard to decide ill probably wait til the last minute to decide
  18. DeereFarmer

If you are buying used the condition of the truck might also help swing you one way. I was set on a diesel, but the V10 was just oo good of a deal to pass up.
  19. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Good Luck on what ever you decide to do. :drinkup:
  20. DeereFarmer

Here is an update. I took a 200 miles trip yesterday. I would say it was 55% highway. I drive like an oldy lady anyways, but this time I paid even more attention to fuel mileage. I averaged at 15.4 by the time I got home. At one point on the highway I was at 16.7 for an average about 65 miles into the trip. I don't know what to say!