1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V10 to 5.4 will i be dissapointed?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by northeastrealty, Nov 30, 2009.

1. northeastrealty

northeastrealty Member

Hey Guys,
    I just designated my old truck as the employee truck. It is a 99 F350 reg.cab w/ 8ft fisher has a V10 for motor. My newer truck to me is a 04 f250 w/same blade and a 5.4l v8.

My question is, I know the power of the v10, but i never plowed with a 5.4, will i be dissapointed with it? Plus i went from f350 to f250, im sure no difference really there, but concerned about the engine power.

Let me know guys, thanks and goodluck this snow season

:redbounce

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No you won't.

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

you need understand they are sluggish if you try drive slow.

Best power is pass 2,500 to 5,000 rpm.

You would notice rough idle due V8 compare V10.

You would like 5.4L it will do work what you need.

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I don't think you will be disapointed with the 5.4 I have it in my 03 and it has good power. It started to lose quit a bit of power and it started to shift odd. So I chopped the catalytic converter off and it gained tons of power. And it has a deep throaty truck sounding exhaust now. But I don't think it will disapoint you tho.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Only time you will notice is pulling heavy loads and maybe at the gas station.

6. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

yep agreed with the gas station. I get about 7-8mpg in the city haha.

7. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

I traded a 99 F350, 5.4L for an '02 F250 6.8L. The simple answer to your question is, "Hell yes!" The 5.4 is a DAWG!

8. Deco

Deco Senior Member

i have a 54 , no issues . all bottom end

9. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

I have a 5.4, V10, 7.3 Diesel, and a 460 with 8' plows w/ wings.
    There will be a difference but I don't think you will be dissappointed. The difference is all in your foot, you will have to get after it a little more in the deep stuff. The 5.4 has plenty of power.

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have a 5.4L in my 06 and I ended up installing a K&N air induction kit and a Tuner Chip. I have a 8.6 V blade and I can usually get TONS of snow when in scoop and the only thing I ever lacked was a bit of traction going up hill with all that snow in front of me. It had more than enough power.

11. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ya the 5.4 is doggish ont he get go. but that an be fied by putting your foot in it. I found out when I chopped the cat off mine it improved that quit a bit tho.