1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V10 motor good or bad

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by exclusive, Aug 20, 2010.

1. exclusive

exclusive Member

hey guys i just want to know if any body has any insight on the V-10 motors i mite be buying a 2000 f-350 with a v-10 is there any problems with these motors its got 130k thanks in advance

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Ive heard they are very good motors, just depends how well they are taken care of (just like anything). Plenty of power and torque.

3. C&H Plowing

C&H Plowing Member

gas hogg and no power like a diesel:laughing::laughing:

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well now your comparing apples to steaks,lol There is nothing like a diesel! As far as "gas hogg" I hear they are comparable to any other gasser, (5.4L, 6.0L for Chevy). And honestly, if your worried about fuel milage with a big truck then buy a Honda and shovels.

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

So, do you own one, or are you just trolling?

V10's are great motors, they'll run for a long long time if taken care of. A 1999-2001 V10's had the plug spitting issue. 9 out of 10 never have an issue, but there are a number who have, usually those who haven't torqued the plugs properly when replacing. There's a great thread that was going not too long ago about V10's, I'd suggest reading that thread also.

Gas hog? Not any more so than any other gas motor in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
    No power like a diesel? Why is it than that my stock V10 runs away from my stock 7.3 loaded or unloaded?

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

V10s are great motors. I had an '01 F250 with one and it had plenty of power. It could tow my loaded 6K pound race car trailer all day long and hardly know it was there. It would get the same gas mileage loaded or unloaded, so if you tow or plow a lot it does help you out in the end. The mileage wasn't great, but what do you expect? It got better mileage than my '02 GMC 2500HD with a hopped up 6.0L V8. The only gripe I had with the V10 was the exhaust manifold studs (like every other Ford gas motor). I went through both sides and a head (because of a dealer "mistake"). Luckily that $2500 bill was under warranty.

7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Had the V10 in my 03 Excursion. Great motor with plenty of power. I also towed a car and trailer and never found myself looking for more power. Go with it. Great, dependable motor. And like someone else said, if your worried about MPG's in a big truck, your in the wrong biz.

8. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

My V10 is great!
    I get the same MPG's as the 5.4 trucks with much more power.
    It loves towing & pushing snow.

The only real downfall to the V10's (99-04) is the exhaust manifold studs rotting. Once that's repaired, just simple maintenance like every other truck.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Great motor....wouldn't buy another truck that didn't have it in it.

10. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

What the rest of them minus the troll said.

02 250 here, 75k miles.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Most guys say the diesels have plenty of power....

12. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I have one in my 02 Excursion with 163,000 on it still runs great only had to do normal maintenance so far and it gets 10 to 12 mile per gallon but thats ok I knew I wasn't buying a Honda. :nod:

13. 05 superduty

05 superduty Member
    from NJ

My friend has a 04 350 supercab dually thats got the V-10 in it and you couldnt believe the power and torque of this truck for not being a diesel

14. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I have the truck in my signature, only problem is that each exhaust manifold is missing 2 of the 5 bolts, they were snapped off when we bought it and now it produces the "tickign noise" otherwise nice torque.

15. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Great Motor you'll have no problems my dad had a 99 F350 with a V10 and ran it to around 205,000 miles before trading it in a newer truck. The only thing he ever did to that truck was brakes and ball joints.

16. TBElectric

TBElectric Junior Member

The engine itself is a good design with plenty of horsepower and torque, however you have to take into account tire size and gear ratio playing a huge role in the truck being able to put that power to the ground. I had a 99 with a v-10, 3.55 gears, and 285/75-16 tires and with that combination the engine didn't like it at all. Just food for thought.

17. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

We had problems with throttle bodies on all four 05s that we have and manifolds. The newer ones have been fine, good enough for us to order two more just recently. They average around 6 mpg compared to around 8 for the 6.0 in the chevys (this is either pulling a trailer or pushing snow). The guys on here are posting the fuel economy as being the same but that is not our experience. Good luck.

18. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

V-10 = Good for Exxon Mobil, Bad for U

19. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Wrong........

20. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Yeah, that's a problem right there. The 99 did not have the PI heads, plus the V10 really needs a 4.10+ ratio to work beautifully, although the 3.73s are not bad for plowing or getting around with a load in the bed. Just heavy towing they don't work so well for.