1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V10 = Cracked Windsheild

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PremierLand, Dec 30, 2006.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

It has happened to me and some other people I know...

We all have V10s and under a load, the tourqe twists the frame and cracks the windshield... Anyone else have this happen and wonder why?

2. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

That sounds silly,Not doubting ya but if thats the case the trucks are twisting there own frames to do it..And that is bad news....

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have been plowing with my F-250 with a V-10 for 3 years now. I push an 8 1/2 Snoway V-plow and never had an issue with window cracking. Check out this site but no one there has ever posted anything about it I have read,

http://www.ford-trucks.com

4. FORDV10

FORDV10 Member
    from CT.

I never had a problem with my windshield... had the truck new since 2003........:drinkup:

5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I would think the diesel would be more prone to torquing the windshield than the v10. AFAIK no one I know has cracked a windshield for that reason on their F250-F550's (v10, v8 or either 7.3 or 6.0 diesel.)

6. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I have never heard this before. I don't think it would be caused by the engine though...

7. PremierLand

from detroit

I've talked to a few guys around here and we all have V10s, and have had this happen, never had a chip in it before or anything to cause it to crack... It could be something else, but something twisting the frame would need ALOT of power, and if its doing that, it cant be good...

This happened last March, so far its been fine. Maybe I can get it to happen this winter when we get our 2ft storm, and take a picture or something.

8. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

People that get stress cracked windshields more thab likely the truck had been in a serious accident or you beat the snot out of it plowing and have tweaked the frame. The v-10 do not nearly have enough power in them to twist the frame. If you said the 6.0 did maybe I could believe it. But not hardly. Do you plow witht he truck or hire drivers too? That maybe where your problem lies

9. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Motor mounts wore out or broke?

10. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

The V10 has more HP than the 6.0 or 7.3, and only about 90 less foot pounds of torque.

that being said, I do agree that there has to be another factor causing the windshield to crack. Inproper installation, prior accident or chip in the edge of the windshield, frame cross members damaged or removed... something other than torque twisting the body enough to break the windshield or Ford would have had to recall hundreds and hundreds of thousands of V10 and PSD trucks to fix the problem!

11. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

i have a dodge v10. which is an 8.0L vs the ford 6.0L, It has 183,000 miles on it. I have put a 100,000 of those miles on it and have never had a cracked window. Most people would probably say I beat the snot out of it. So i would say that there is something else wrong with the truck..Maybe an accident...

12. spittincobra01

the Ford 6.0 is a V8 diesel, the Ford V10 is a 6.8 gas

13. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Oops, I knew i should have waited to post that. I had just gotten back from the bar. mind wasn't thinking rite..:drinkup: :drinkup:

14. spittincobra01

it's all good, see I know lots about Fords... but almost nothing about Dodge, so if things were reversed I probably would have said something stupid like "the only V10 dodge makes is in a Viper or that new R/T 10 truck" and I ahven't been drinking yet...lol :dizzy:

(I do know they have one in the heavy duty truck, one of my neighbors had one)

15. Very interesting to hear, but I would tend to believe there is another problem to cause the windshield to crack, as our department has been plowing with v10 fords since they first came out in 1999.

16. PremierLand

from detroit

Maybe it was something else. Or something I didnt notice. Its been great since. But its weird since other people I talked to said their windsheild cracked for no appearant reason.

17. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

check the lowest part of your plow frame and tell me how many gouges are there. After having a similair problem with a couple of trucks in our yard::1-99w/5.4 , 1-01 w/6.8 and 1-00 w/7.3 I found that in these trucks the crack was the same and the undercarridge had gouges and angle cylinder pins were missing cotter keys. The cause? when the drivers were pushing snow over the curb, the curb was too tall and hits the plow frame and stersses the frame enough to crack the windsheild. At least thats what I concluded and by the way the cracks sometimes did not appear right away.

18. scaper27

scaper27 Member

I got a 2001 F450 and I load the balls out of it all the time and I never had a problem. maybe something is bent on the frame

19. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I too have seen a lot of Super Duties with cracked windshields mine included. A lot of them have been 2wd non plow trucks. So maybe it's a design flaw, I don't know for sure. Gave me good reason to install a 04 windshield with the "SuperDuty" in the tinted top portion.

20. I agree, I did the same in my 00 when it suddenly became cracked plowing one nite last year. But, then I totaled the truck so there's lots more cracks in it now :cry:

The 04 hasn't had any problems yet, and the 99 has about 20 hours on it and nothing yet either.....:dizzy: