1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V XT Problem or Operator Error?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bltp203, Dec 29, 2009.

1. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

This is my first year with my VX-T, Before that have used straight blades for years. Overall I love the blade but I seem to have a problem stacking.

When I am in scoop position and attempt to raise the plow to stack the snow, the plow really seems like it is straining and doesn't want to raise. If I straighten the wings then the plow raises with no problem or will raise with no problem if I back up a foot or two while still in scoop,essentially taking the load off.

Am I just putting too much of a load on the plow while trying to raise it full of snow?
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Normally when I am stacking I just hold the up button for a second or two and the momentum of the truck pushing the snow up the pre-existing pile helps the snow and plow ride right up the pile. I don't really use the plow to lift snow much. You have to make sure that with your previous plowing, you have prepared the pile so that the snow and plow basically ride right up the pile. Snow should be pushed up using mostly momentum, with little help from the plow motor itself. Just my two cents though.
  3. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

I think what you have happening is the plow is actually tripping, if you open the wings up a little bit before you get to the pile then try to raise the plow you will have more success of it actually coming off of the ground. Our vees tend to do something like your discribing once and a while, just fool around a bit and you will find a position that works!

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Get the pressure for the lift checked, it might be low from the factory.
  5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

How or where would I go to have the lift pressure tested?
  6. Mark Oomkes

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Your just trying to lift to much weight while in scoop. I do it against the curb all the time. As soon as you back off a little it pops up in the air. Just don't go to full scoop. I doubt anything is wrong with the plow.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And you're also probably not realizing how much snow weight there is in front of it. An XT in the scoop position will have a great deal of possibly very wet snow ahead if it. Especially when you're trying to lift the whole pile along with it.

Stacking without adding unneeded stress on the plow takes practice. If it's straining the pump excessively you're not doing it correctly.
  9. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Thanks guys, I only have 2 pushes with this plow, so more practice is probably exactly what I need.
  10. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

As you gain experience, you will learn to move the wings into a straight position as you come to the pile to stack the snow and thus create less strain on your blade and actually allow you to stack snow more efficiently...
  11. Mark Oomkes

Huh, I don't have to do that with my Blizzard.

And we all know Blizzards are incapable of stacking. :dizzy:

FWIW, I never had to do that with my Boss blades either. :cool:
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, that's one thing about the XV I like. Put it in scoop and let her rip. Build piles 8 feet high no problem. To me, stacking is all about controlling the right foot more than anything.
  13. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

When the plow doesn't want to raise, your likely carrying too much snow, not close enough to the pile, and not moving forward enough. Careful how you adjust though, as too little snow, too close to the pile, and moving to far forward means you hang the push frame on the pile and stick the truck.

Ask me how I know that... :angry:

Good luck! :drinkup: