1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V XT - Poly or Steal?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by wtfgreen, Nov 3, 2009.

1. wtfgreen

wtfgreen Junior Member

I'm buying my first plow, and have decided on a Boss V XT. The dealer tells me that the poly is the way to go because it throws snow better and doesn't need to be painted.

What does everyone on here think?

Also, what is a good price for a full set up on a 2009 Ford F250?

2. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

Check out the site sponser ESI Trucks they have good deals going on right now.

As for Poly and Steel its all personal preference I bought into poly(still need to plow with it) but now I am wishing I have gone with steel due to easy to repair(welding) and lighter up front and if you maintain it(fluid film etc) it should work just as good as poly to throw snow and wont need to paint it as often.
  3. mike custom

mike custom Junior Member

yeah im having the same dilemma but I think ive decided on the steel bc A) its a little lighter, and B) because I have a feeling salt and sand will get between the poly and the backframe and be harder to clean out. I have a 8 ft steel now and I think so long as you get out and powerwash the **** outta that thing a day later you'll be good. As far as snow sticking on, big whoop. it'll beat my truck up less, cost less, and hopefully last as long. good luck with it man!
  4. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I hate to tell your dealer, but the poly's fade like a SOB if left out at all, thus, still needing paint.

I would definately go with the steel as it is lighter than the poly. Also, the steel will throw the snow just as far as the poly. You're dealer is blowing smoke.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Boss seems to be pushing the Poly as "easier on your drivetrain". They claim the snow slides easier.

I think my choice would be poly, I guess. The plow is stronger, and you can change the skin very easily. I wonder if they will offer SS skins soon.
  6. jitaly

jitaly Junior Member

Hey everyone, im new to the world of plowing and was curious on your feedback. I have a F350 i plan on plowing with but have no idea what kind/size of plow to get. I have mostly residential accounts, only a handful of commercial. What do you guys recommend for a beginner?
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

8. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Steel.....You dont have to change any thing....Lighter.....Easier to fix....Oh and they look much nicer......Oh and Gravel could be hard on the poly
  9. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Oppps sorry double post
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  10. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I will throw my vote for poly if it stays indoors when not in use. I guess I don't understand how steel is easier to fix, when all you have to do with a damaged poly (if you can find a way to damage it) is slide out the damaged moldboard and slide in the new piece.
  11. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

I will throw my 2 cents in. I have been plowing for 35 years and the only plow on my fleet is the Boss Poly V. I have several and they all look close to new even after 2-5 years of age. They are stored inside, however, I still feel the poly is the way to go. As a matter of fact, I am calling today to get a price on a new 8'2" Boss Poly XT for my personal F350 !!!
  12. PLM873

PLM873 Junior Member

Ill throw 3 cents in. I have 4 steel boss plows and 1 poly and i store it inside during the summer but sits outside on the truck during the winter. We call the poly plow the pink power because it is faded so bad. Its on a 2004 Chevy 2500 and the son of a buck faded so bad. Maybe because I got a bad one.? Oh well, it still pushes snow but I have not noticed a difference in performance. And as far as being easier on a transmission.... That all depends on the driver for sure....