1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V with 9200lbs GVWR

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by GMCHD plower, Nov 28, 2009.

1. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

My parents are looking at plows for our 09 GMC 2500HD ext cab/sb... (mostly me telling them what to get and them figuring out money.) Anyway so I went to the fisher website and used ematch, to see what the truck could take for a plow. (Cause once I start driving I most likley with put a V on it.. And it said because of the 9200lbs GFAWR the truck could only have straight blades. Has anyone else incountered this problem? How did you fix it.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Put the Vee on anyway....

3. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I encountered this very problem. I have a 2007 Silverado 2500HD ext cab short bed. (duramax) Chevy dealer said ok, Fisher dealer said NO. I ordered an 8.5 SS xv online anyway and it will be here Monday! :D

4. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

its because of the extended cab - they see it as a possibility of you having 4+ people in there... as long as it's you and a pass youll never go over the weight...

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Its not the extended cab that is the issue, it's the FGAWR (front gross axle weight ratio) vs the motor. Do you have the Duramax 6.6 or the gasser 6.0? I don't know of too many people that do have the diesel engine that adhere to those guidelines though. If it were me I would either crank the torsion bars or upgrade them as well as put some Timbrens on, and call it a day.

6. GMCHD plower

Sorry ya I forgot to mention that its the 6.0.... I just wanted your guys opinion. For now it most likely will get a 8' HD . But once I start driving (im only 14) I'm thinking of upgrading to a extreme V 8.5'.. Thanks for your input guys..

7. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I'm a Ford guy so I may not be much help. But. A couple things. You said it has a 9200lb GFAWR. I think you must mean that number is the GVWR. Even the F350 solid front axle only has a 6000lb GFAWR. Which gets me to my next point. I don't know the difference between the 3/4 ton and 1 ton Chevies. But if there is a heavier duty front axle under the 1 ton I would not recommend the 8.5' XV on the 3/4 ton. One of the big reasons for me being a Ford guy is that front axle. The Superduty axle is a solid front and all the components are super heavy duty. The Chevy, while a fine setup, is an IFS setup which is not designed to carry such weight IMO. I'm basically giving an opinion here so don't take it to the bank. But if you looked at the Chevy front end next to the Ford you would see what I'm talking about. I think it would work but I also think you would wear out the front end prematurely and have problems down the road. Again just my $.02.

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

What are you smoking over there??? Send some my way when your done with it will ya. :rolleyes:

9. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

:eek:
    speaking of smoking :dizzy:
    the extended cab is the issue - more truck (due to additional weight of extra cab length + possibilty of extra passengers) =more weight = less weight the front end can carry= can't put as big of a plow on it... this isn't rocket science...
    your fine putting the v on it, they just don't recommend it because youll go over your FGAW IF you have passengers in the vehicle...

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

yeah, thats why I am able to put a XLS on my truck per Fisher's & GM's Guidleines....oh yeah, I have the extended cab & the 8' bed. Ca't imagine what I was thinking........:rolleyes:

11. GMCHD plower

Ya I meant to put GVWR thanks for pointing that out..... Thanks for the input guys. For now it most likely will get outfitted with an 8'HD blade... But EVENTUALLY when I get my license I will hopefully upgrade to an 8.6' Extreme V and put a poly caster in the bed...:nod: I say EVENTUALLY because im only 14..

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have the ext cab long bed. I love it. Took the wife and daughter for a little shopping today. It's nice to put sheetrock in the back and put the tailgate up. I don't think I would ever buy a shortbed, unless it's a toy LOL. The long bed only adds about 10 inches to the wheelbase. Not the end of the world.

13. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Let alone thinking, what were you smoking?

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

I love mine. I had an issue with the rear tire not clearing the 8' plow width on one account (association rd.) last year in the s curves. The first time I noticed they had to go out and clean up after me with a snowblower is when I made up my mind to get a bigger plow for this year. I got them back this year with a $300 increase none the less, so it couldn't of bothered them too much.

I'll never go back to a short bed unless I have to with a crew cab.

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

I think it was Mexican green bud dipped in nuclear waste....but ask Northern & Boulder, they gave it to me. :laughing:

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Who the heck buys 8' sheetrock? :dizzy:

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I know, I know. The guy that has to lug it upstairs and install it himself. Big sheets wouldn't save any seams on what I'm doing anyway.

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

I can feel the neck & shoulder pain all the way over here! It's been awhile since I have had to Sheetrock, and I don't look forward to the next time either.