1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V vs. Wideout

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JeepCreepn01, Feb 22, 2009.

1. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

what are the pros and cons of both? and i would really like to hear from anybody who has used both and which one you would prefer and why. looking to get a new plow next year

2. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Jeep - It depends on what you are plowing. May help with responses if you list your main types of accounts, whether they are wide open lots, roads, cell tower roads, etc.

Im fairly certain that a V with wings is definitely not 50% more productive than a Wideout, but I dont have any documented proof

3. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I own a mvp plus and a wide out.the wideout cleans up way better, and carries double the snow of a v in scoop.

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

What are you plowing? Res, Comm? Roads?

If Residential and small drives 50-100ft then in my opinion a vee will likely not help much. If really long drives that require you to carry snow a long distance or have open areas where you may need to break thru deep snow then vee.

If you are plowing mostly commercial with long distances of just winging to your right or left then wideout. If gas stations or banks or others that require you to carry snow away for a distance then go with a vee.
    It's really a personal preference on what brand or type of plow to buy. We do not know what you plow, how big it is, or anything more so it's really your call.

On a side note keep in mind where you local dealers are in relationship to your route and who is open at 2 am for parts.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A Wide out will outplow a V hands down in basically every condition, by how much hard to say. We actually run V's on our trucks but we don't use them for plowing, mostly for cleanup so the V's work fine for us. If I was plowing lots with my pickups I'd have an expandle blades for sure, wider is better period. Look at the guys on here that ran V's and then bought Blizzards, they seem to keep getting more Blizzard's and selling there V's. You can also put wings on your expandle plow if you wish, if we want too bring wings into the mix. JMO

6. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

you want to state your points or prove someone else's wrong, by all means do so...but do not interrupt a thread to have your own personal "battle"...ya know, the ignore feature could be a nice choice for some :rolleyes:

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Agree with above posts. Personal preferance too. I run v's and have for a while. I ran a Blizzard 810 to try it out and I honestly feel I'm much more productive on my lots with the v's. My guys ran it too and felt the same. That's not to say it wouldn't change once we adapted to the wing plow though. I'd buy a Blizzard before a Western Wideout, but again, personal preferance. One nice thing about the Western is the handheld controller, something Blizzard has yet to offer.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Well, there are a few threads on this, and some even have opinions of those who have run both types of plows.

I haven't run a Wideout, but I do have one or 2 of its predecessors. I also have had a few V's in the past.

So how about you do a search, then come back and ask specific questions. Be happy to answer anything you didn't find that answer to.

PS Beware of trolls that haven't actually used both types of plows and are close-minded about the possibilities of each.

9. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Well, I ran one of the first western V plow's ( ala cable control unit with extra valve unit ) I actually liked it other than the cable control made it kinda slow. I did like the top trip thought. I then ran one of the first Western V's to come out in the 90's It was more productive than a straight blade by far.

The first 810 that I ran made me decide to put my V up for sale after the first night of using it.

I personally ran the whole gambit of expanding plows from Blizzard from the 810 thru the 8611 Full size including putting wings on them.

Last season I bought a Wideout and another former member bought an XLS and we put them thru there paces. The XLS was a good performer overall. Though IMO it didn't scrape as well as the 810 it did a decent job.

The Wideout on the other hand was less than satisfactory as I found that it rode up and over things that the 810 did not. BUGTHUG is now the proud owner of that plow and I'm splitting time between an 810 and a front mounted snow blower.

SO back to the question posed. Pros and Cons

V- scrapes fairly well but bottom trip IMO is an issue as the spring setting is too soft and bottom edges gave out often. Back of the blade bent up on me. Stacks well but in the 8.6 configuration when in V or scoop it drops the snow right along the side of the truck.
    Can get in and out of tighter spaces / drive thrus.

Wideout - clears path well, carrys more snow than the V and you can control the load ( If you can get the plow to turn with a load ) does not clean as well as it could. Rubber wing edges are a weak point.

If I had to choose one of them again I would go with the Wideout, put the steel cutting edges on that we were running part of last year and add a couple of hundred pounds to the blade along with putting larger lift and angle cyls on it and run the sucker.

But that's just me.

J

10. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the responses, my main accounts are really and truly all sorts of places, driveways, churches, apt complexes, and all sorts of parking lots. I guess i should have stated i'm really looking to be able to carry more, because most places need to have snow moved to here or there, I think i really like the V because it is alittle "compact" when traveling as some one way streets i have to drive down are rather small, but it seems the Wideout will hold more and who wouldnt like a 10ft blade for those big open spots, I have searched this topic and really wanted to here the pros and cons, as i know have al summer to research i just want to start thinking about my needs and if anyone has anything to add please feel free
    Thanks

11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

12. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

Has anyone pondered the idea of combining both plows. Besides the added weight what would stop a manufacturer from creating a v-plow with expandable wings. A wideout-v of sorts? Just a question as both of these plows have there advantages over eachother and it would seem a combination of the two would potentially create a multi-purpose plow.

13. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Got up in the 1200# range on the one we played around with a couple of years back.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 Western MVP Plus with wings and I have 2 Brokers that have 810 Blizzards. I also have a 9'2" Boss. The V blades plow areas that have cars on both sides. All the snow has to go in a specific spot. The Blizzards plow wide open areas. The V will out perform the Blizzard in the areas I use them but for the V to keep up with the Blizzard in wide open areas we remove the trailing wing. I had a new guy in a brand new truck with the V blade and in 3 nights he had broken both wings on the Western. They do not hold up to hitting curbs when fully angled. You have to raise the plow when approaching the curbs.

I like the fact that I can take the wings off when driving to reduce front end weight. For now if I had to choose which plow I would buy the V. I think I would try a poly Boss with wings next time.

15. Dejana Dorian

Dejana Dorian Member

You have a lot of input from some very knowledgeable people that use the equipment. Both plows have their own applications that they have a good fit for. The wideout is more versatile and a better package. The money is also sometimes the deal maker on the plows. Comparing the price of the 9.5 MVP Plus and the Wideout; the wideout is only $250 more.