1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V vs. Straight for 08' Sierra 1500??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by tuckermoss, Dec 10, 2009.

1. tuckermoss

tuckermoss Junior Member

I'm getting a new plow this week (1st) and I have been told by some people that the V would be too heavy for my rig, even with leveling!...I do plan on trying to grab some accounts this winter and wonder if I should start with a straight (lower investment, weight and long term maintenance), until I get used to plowing???

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A 7.6 vee I'm assuming? What type of work and how much do you plan to use the truck for?

3. tuckermoss

tuckermoss Junior Member

yes a 7.6...I'm just breaking in to the business and will be in the U.P. where it snows a lot! But being my first year, i thought I should start with a straight to see how it goes and how my truck handles. I'm hoping to do mostly residential, and will take as many as I can get...just been getting a lot of differing opinions

4. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

There is no reason NOT to go with a V plow. If your going to buy a plow, get the V....period.

5. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

The Boss web site plow locator, lists the 7 1/2 V as being compatable with the 1500 GMC/Chevy. I would just make sure you have Timbrens or air bags on the front end. I had one Boss dealer tell me the 8 1/2 V could also be used on the 1500 GMC/Chevy. In the UP, I would go with a V.

6. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

I would agree with everybody else and go with V plow. I learned on a V then had to use a straight blade for a storm and it felt like I was lost when it came time for cleanup work. The V is much more versatile and personally I think its easier to learn with since you can do soo much more with it.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For residential use I wouldn't hesitate to go with the vee. You'll thank yourself later.

However do expect to need plenty of ballast and at least a set of Timbrens, and possibly a set of heavier coils.

8. tuckermoss

tuckermoss Junior Member

Thanks all for responses

Just when I thought I would go with the V, I spoke with the Manager of Marquette Automotive in the U.P. and he said that he's had nothing but problems with Installing V's on the new Sierras/Silverados...He said the suspensions are pussies compared to the older rigs (no torsion bars etc...). I do show on my spec. sheet I have the tow package and High Performance Suspension Pkg...but nobody can tell me what that means...
    I'm Lost again................

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Neither one means anything as far as the capability of the truck to carry a plow. A set of Timbrens and plenty of ballast is what you'll need.

10. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

The Boss dealer here use to have a 1500 chevy with an 8.2 V, and I guess there was no problems.

As to the question, get the V.