1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Pro 8000

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by dfdsuperduty, Dec 20, 2010.

1. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I just picked up a used one can anyone tell me what I should be aware of. Also is there any adjustments/modifications that need to be made to the unit to keep the salt flowing?

2. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Well the controllers are junk, parts are pricey, I added a second vibrator and that keeps my material flowing great! the paint is junk, if you have time blast it and repaint it. Other than that good spreaders.....

3. dfdsuperduty

are there any aftermarket controllers or do they have to be snow ex brand?

4. EvenCutLawnCare

5. dfdsuperduty

How are they as far as running treated material threw them I just ordered 10 tons of clear lane and hope it will not be a waist?

6. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I'm running the same spreader. I bought the spreader used, and got the wiring harness, controller, and vibrator from Karrier. It has worked great so far, had a minor issue with some clogging but that was from the crap salt that I just got. It has run Magic salt just fine, I found that I need to keep the vibrator running all the time but is has worked great. I did make some adjustments to the chute, it was spreading heavy to the passenger side. I have it adjusted now to deliver the salt just before the shaft on the spinner and it seems to get both sides pretty good. Keep the auger around 4-6 and the spinner anywhere from 4-5. Mine will spread magic salt a good 30-40 feet if I set the spinner on full speed.

Where are you getting your clearlane, and price. You can PM me that info if you wish

Thanks,

John

7. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Are these Karrier products better or are they just cheaper when you need to replace something? Are they simply plug and play?

8. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Mine also is spreading too heavy on the passenger side. Could you post what you did to solve this?

9. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I adjusted the chute several different times, not sure if I have it exactly right yet. Trying to get the salt to drop on the spinner right at the shaft or just before it. If the salt hits the spinner closest to the truck side, the salt goes heavy to the passenger side. If it hits past the spinner, its heavy to the driver side. Going right at the spinner shaft or just before seems to be the best. I just added a small diverter right in the middle of the chute just before exit, and it seems to get the salt on both sides of the spinner shaft. I don't have any pictures of the diverter, but did take some before that when I finally got the chute where I want it.

DSC_1331.jpg

DSC_1333.jpg

10. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Could you possibly get a picture of the diverter you used?

11. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

I just purchased a used one today for $1000. Hopefully I did well on it, I got the controller and wiring with it. It looks decent but could not try it as it was sitting on a trailer for a year. Just hope everthing works fine when I install it. The only thing I have heard is that I may have to put another vibrator on the top by the cab to keep the salt flowing. Has anyone had this problem?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  12. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

I liked mine

I ran a 6000 for a few seasons until I upgraded to a larger SnowEx box. I did not have any issues with it at all. I did leave the vibrator run all the time to keep the material flowing. Also, if you are not going to use the cover, you can also spray the sides of the spreader with a non stick cooking spray like "PAM" and that will also help with material flow.

I think you will like your new spreader.

13. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I have just the one vibrator in the factory location, and keep if running 95% of the time. My salt is stored inside, but has not always been completely dry. Also ran some treated salt through it and did not have any issues. I don't have a need for a second vibrator. I usually keep the salter loaded inside, along with the cover on whenever it's outside.

14. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Lets see if these will post now. Pictures of the diverter.

DSC_1390 (800x536).jpg

DSC_1391 (800x536).jpg

DSC_1392 (536x800).jpg

15. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Nice job John, I might give the diverter a try on my spreader too.I also have to raise my chute just a little higher to get the salt closer to the shaft.

16. dfdsuperduty

Installed the vpro last night took it out worked great this morning went to get in the truck and it was dead any suggestions? From the time of the last job to the time the truck was parked was probably a good 25-35 mins in my opinion plenty of time to charge the battery back up

17. EvenCutLawnCare

is something staying on? work lights or something? Mine has never run my battery dead....

18. dfdsuperduty

everything was off I think I am going to install a switch to turn power on to the control unit and see if that does the trick

19. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

I have never had a problem

I have never had an issue like that at all with my 6000 or any other SnowEx box. Was your battery dead or did the unit just not work? If it was the unit just not working, it may be a connection issue but that should have given you an error message on your control box.

20. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Dave, which controller are you running? Stock snow ex or something else. When you say it was dead, was it the truck or just the salter. Dual battery set up on the truck? It shouldn't be so much of a draw from the salter to just kill the truck. I can run mine, along with 4 back up lights, overhead lights, and an 810 and still not kill the truck. Sounds like you might have too much of a draw somewhere. How is the wiring for the salter run, and what did you hook it up to?