1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sno-mover, Dec 26, 2002.

1. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Would you guys with first hand knowledge of v-plows tell me which is the overall best plow, as far as strength, hydro system, speed and reliablity. I am leaning towards the fisher ez-v, but wanted to see what everyone had to say. There are fisher, western and boss dealers all in my general area, so that is not a real big deal. Thanks.:waving:

2. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Can't comment on the Boss, but I have a Western MVP. The Western MVP and Fisher EZ-V are basically the same plow except for the mount and color. Same mold board, pump, hydrolics, and control. This is the third winter for mine and I have had ZERO problems with it:D

Greg

3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

All about the same.
    go with the dealer who will be open at 3am durring a storm.

4. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn Member

I've been very pleased with BOSS.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

While the western and fisher are basically the same, the western is a much stronger plow where the a frame meets the moldboard. Go look at the two plows aide by side, the western uses positive stops to kep the wings from being pushed to close to the a frame. Like when in the vee, or even in full angle left or right. The fisher doesnt, what that leads to is where the angle cylinder pins into the moldbard, that entire area will bend, including the pin over time. The area right above the that pin is boxed with steel, and that box plate will actually crease.
    On the western, the cyl mounts lower on the moldboard, so the plate is actually 2x as big, and the positive stop on the a frame will keep any damage from occuring to that pin.
    IMO the western is the best v plow, the boss units are built very well, but they are harsh on the truck. The trip mechanism doesnt work very well in the vee or scoop modes.
    Dino

6. I have had two Boss plows, this one has is going on three years and am very pleased. The V plow makes a big difference in time over my old straight blades. Sorry can't comment on Western or Fisher, though I hear much good about them here on the web site. Bob

7. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Thanks for the replys, I saw a fisher up close real quick the other night on christmas when it snowed, and I couldn't believe how tough it looked. I didn't know western and fisher were made almost the same. Does anyone have pictures of there v-plow they can post? :D :waving:

8. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Click on the link in my signature. I can snap some more and post them in a min. :)

Greg

9. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Thats one heck of a setup! Did you ever have any problems with snow comming out of the middle of the edge or defelctor? thanks for the pictures!:waving:
    Ray

10. Duncan IN

Duncan IN Member

Boss Picture

Here is a pic of my 2001 Boss V Plow 8'2"
    I have since made alot of changes to it I recently put on a u-edge and I also have a deflector. I will try to get some pics of the plow with the new changes since it doesn't look like the same plow now.

bossv1.jpg

11. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

sno-mover,

There is a thick piece of rubber that connects the two mold boards down behind the cutting edges. Depending on the type of snow(ice) and position of the blades, it will sometimes not clean all the way down to pavement in a 6" swath. But it will only leave a very thin skim layer. It's never a problem. No snow ever comes through the middle of the deflector.

Here is a pic of the stop Dino was talking about.

[​IMG]

Greg

12. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Dockboy,
    Thanks for the picture, looks like a sold set-up. How long does it take for the plow to go from say, full scoop to full "v", and do the 2 blade halfs move at the same time or individualy? thanks
    Ray :waving:

13. plowking35

from SE CT

A western v takes 5-7 sec to go from full v to full scoop. Yes both wings do operate at the same time. The controller has 3 modes. In mode 1 left button moves both wings out, right moves both in.
    In mode 2 operates just like a straight plow, mode 3 is independant, press the left once and it moves out, press again moves in, same for the right side. Takes about 2-3 hrs to get used to. I have replaced the center two piece design with a single piece of urethane. Much better and no spillage.
    Call 860-608-1842 and I will answer any questions you have about the western v plow, we run two of them.
    Dino

14. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

What Dino said:D

Greg

15. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Dockboy and plowking35
    If I have any more questions now I know who to talk to, you have been a big help in answering questions for me.
    thanks Ray.:waving:

16. plowking35

from SE CT

You are welcome Ray.
    IMO the western is a very good v plow, and I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one.
    Dino

17. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

No problem Ray:D
    Glad we could help!

Greg

18. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I switched to the Western MVP this year, while it is my first V plow I don't think I'd ever go back to a str8 blade. It's a pretty awesome piece of equipment. The V plows are roughly 20% more efficent thus equaling more jobs in less time. You should also expect a higher hourly rate if using a V plow. Clean up is a breeze. making piles is a ton of fun and breaking through mounds is effortless. I live in the Philadelphia area, feel free to call me if you need more information, 215-783-4165. The dealer I would recommend, with batting an eye is:

PERKIOMEN PERFORMANCE INC.
    Wayne Griffing
    Rt. 63, Sumneytown, Pa 18084
    215-234-9121

This guy is a walking Snowplow encyclopidia and if it's snowing he's open. I like to know how you make out?

19. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i like he western V's also.theres just one thing i would like.a bigger one maybe a 10 ft like the boss or alittle bigger but its a good plow

20. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I run a 9'2" Boss V, urethane edge. I love it.... never will straight blade again!