1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ken643, Aug 15, 2011.

1. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Hey question for you guys using V plows, When the plow is in the V position say on an 8 1/2 foot plow does it clear the width of a standard width driveway? Does one pass do the job? or do you have to go back and do the edges again? if not would a 9 1/2 plow do it?

I am assuming when the blade is in the V position its not clearing the full width of the plow as if it were straight? I hope my question is clear, lol
    Thanks guys :salute:
  2. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

A 8 1/2 in V will not cover a driveway in one sweep. You need to go back over it, usually because if you are in V its a deep snow and it will roll back in on ya. A 9 1/2 will be better but you are still going to have to widen it.
  3. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Hmm, interesting I was hoping it would clear in one pass, then I ask is the V plow really worth it? I guess opening parking lots and stuff it is. I mostly do driveways, large ones but driveways
  4. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

Don't know how much snow or drifting you deal with but I need the v blade just to bust through the drifts and deep snow on the first pass of my driveways in the country. With my straight blade the truck would just get thrown sideways when trying to angle through them. My 8 1/2 v is 7 1/2 wide when in v position.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why are you back dragging in the v position/
  6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Yeah really. I wouldn't advise it unless you absolutely have to. I would say if your just doing driveways then the extra expense of a v blade is not worth it. Occasionally I use the V blade in V position on 2 lots. Both are lots that dont need open until Monday morning and are last to get done if we get a weekend storm so the city usually burry's them but no big deal when you have a V blade. I mean they are an all purpose blade but if your keeping up with the storm like you should be doing there's no reason the driveways should get that deep that a straight blade wouldn't be able to handle it. If you looking for a new plow and just do driveways, I would be looking for something with a good down pressure system or a Hiniker plow that folds down to scrap....those things do very well clearing driveways.
  8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

One pass only?

Not thinking of future pushes are you.
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The only time I have my V blade in V is to drive to the next site.
  10. bossman34

bossman34 Member

The v position is good for pushes down longer drives, when the heavy snow will tend to push the truck in the other direction- when using a straight blade while the plow is angled. After the first pass in V then you can angle and push both side back to keep the drive open.
  11. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

Who said anything about back dragging in the v position? There is no doubt that all plows on the market have their place, otherwise they wouldn't be on the market. I need the v for the areas I plow but that doesn't mean it's for everyone.
  12. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

The reason I bought my V is to use it in scoop position. It also goes down the road easier in V mode. In scoop, it holds alot more snow. Makes for less cleanup, which comes down to more productivity.

13. Watkins

Watkins Member

The city will bury the end of driveways with 4 ft of hardpack.
    Get the V Blade for the times when a new customer calls you in a snowstorm and you show up with your 1 ton for and a V Blade to cut through 4-5 ft of slushy salty hardpack snow that the straight blades failed at.

Then you get to charge them 75 bucks for 3 pushes up the residentials.
  14. grandview

I just assumed he was when he said a driveway.

15. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

I appreciate all the helpful suggestions, thanks fellas!! My goal was to have one push up the driveways and be on to the next,, But it sounds like the V plow would make it three pushes, one in V mode then two more angled to right and left. I could use a standard plow and make it in two pushes. Thanks for info on the 8 1/2 V plow equals 7 1/2 of coverage. so I assume the 9 1/2 would give me 8 1/2 of coverage. I need to measure some driveways see what the standard is. Also wouldnt want to big or it wont work. I was thinking of the V blade also becasue the are sharp looking , LOL
    Thanks again guys!!

Lets all hope for a great snow season like last year payuppayup
  16. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Anyone like the Fisher Expandable Length Plow? XLS? That really seems to be more for parking lots
  17. addictedtolands

addictedtolands Junior Member
    from NY

Truthfully, I don;t think I would ever buy a straight again. The V's are awesome, and though the 2 pass idea isn't effective starting in the V position, you won't regret it. Knock a hole in the snow, then off to the left then right, able to tighten the corners, stack high as the moon (ok, not quite). I have switched to Hiniker the past couple plows, but had a boss forever and loved it. The hiniker I have is great, a bit on the slow side, but really stout. Personally, not a yellow guy.
  18. grandview

There is a button on the controller to make it a straight blade you know.
  19. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

How wide are your driveways!? Around here they are a good 16' wide. I dont care what sort of front blade you have, you are going to be making at least 2 but probably 3 passes no matter what unless you are the worst plow guy on the planet. Or, you could get a 16' pull plow but even then the snow will spill over the top if theres a bunch of snow and youll have to do it again anyway.