1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snap-n-go Plow, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Snap-n-go Plow

Snap-n-go Plow Junior Member

What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a V-plow?

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Cost more
    makes you faster
    can punch through drifts in /\
    can carry large scoops of snow V
    More parts to carry as spares Boss needs 3 different hoses
    controller more $
    hydraulics more parts and cost

for driveways you can do neater job

I plowed for 20 years (Driveways only) Got a V because people on Plowsite said they where more efficient.

3 years ago I got a Boss 7 1/2 V
    I will never buy a strait blade again.

But thats me if your not interested in speed or efficiency it's not worth the cost.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Oh boy here we go :popcorn: J/K...I find there are by far more advantages. You can scoop instead of chasing snow all over the place, you can punch through drifts, you can stack a bit higher, its just more of a multi purpose plow. Straight blades, with the exception of the new wide-outs is limited to its functions. They all will move snow but a straight blade, especially without wings is just a waste of time unless your in a per hour lot. If your looking to buy one, consider what kind of lots you are going to be doing. If you'r just doing driveways, a straight blade if fine, if your doing small commercial places in combination with driveways a V blade might help saving time. If your doing wide open lots, a wide out might be your best bet. Again, they all move snow and if you can "contain" it with wings or by putting a plow into scoop position your going to be that much faster. I bet my V blade shaved off 25-30% over a straight blade even with wings.

As far as disadvantages, more moving parts that could break, thats all I can think of.
  4. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

I bought my first v last seson. as stated above i will never go back. i do mainly do commercial lots and plow alot with it straight, but when you need it its awesome.
  5. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Uuumm, Are you the inventer oof the "snap n go" plow?
  6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Absoultly none....I can plow circles around anyone with my 1980 6'6" Meyers straight blade on my 1 ton 2wd.xysport:jester::dizzy:
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

more efficient clean-up and the ability to move snow from one location to another. You can use it in the vee for busting though drifts.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

takes 1/3 less time with a V then using a straight blade
  9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Sign me up as a v fan too, plowed for 5-6 years with a straight blade. Then 3 with a v, then one MISERABLE winter back in striaght blade truck.......I'll never do that again, I do wonder about a power wing plow like Blizzard.

On another note, of all the many hours I've spent plowing in a v equiped truck, I only used the v to break open a drift or into a lot.
  10. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I'm with you. The Vs are gold standard right now, but the Blizzard Power Plows have me seriously interested, except I have no dealer. The Blizzard Speedwing has also piqued my curiosity. I would love to run one for an event just to see what its like.
  11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Straight blade is fine for a couple passes in a drive but for comercial lots nothing beats a V other than a V with wings...okay maybe a tractor with a V with wings! :p
  12. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Believe it or not, a Vee plow can actually IMITATE a straight balde. A straight blade cannot Vee in the middle without catastrophic failure to the plow.

Buy a Vee plow. If you don't like it, leave it straight as you plow. If you really want to see some witchcraft, put some wings on the Vee.
  13. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I want a vee plow!
  14. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/onVBVDKAy2c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/onVBVDKAy2c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
  15. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
  16. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

I've been plowing for 10 years and 7 I had straight blades. The last 2 I had and in between I used a blizzard power plow. I absolutely will never go to anything but my ? With wings. Even in my wide open lots if you want a wide out go with fisher, blizzards are way heavy slow and atleast in buffalo they get pissy when its heavy wet snow. Western wide outs don't stack for crap and fisher owns both of them so u know they save the best for them.
  17. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

i dont know about a fisher xls being better than a blizzard 810
  18. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

driveways are much much faster with a V, less backdragging.

when snow is heavier, go into the center of the drive in /\ raise it up, go to straght mode, drag that bit out then go back in windrowing to right or left. this way there is less snow piled at the apron and more dispersed along the driveway.

i have 3 boss v blades and 1 blizzard 810, the quality on the boss plows is really good. my blizzard is currently at jerres getting an erie special makeover.
  19. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

V plows dont back drag as well as a straight blade.
  20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Really, you think so? Hmmmm. I assume b/c they are heavier, and in v or partial v mode can scoop and take the snow with. I don't do much back dragging, but from my own experiences, I think v plows back drag much better.

V plows also stack mountains above straight blades. wesport