1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V plows worth it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by spencer087, Oct 28, 2010.

1. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Iv'e been looking at getting a 8.5 Western Pro Plus and putting wings on for large areas and off for drive thrus OR

A Western MVP plus.

Is the V plow really better than a straight plow with wings???

Keep in mind im mostly drive ways (2 car by 2 car) but i have some drive thrus that are very skinny as well.

Snow here never gets very deep and is often wet not powdery

Southwest Missouri is where i am.
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 8.5' MVP Plus with wings and it's been a great tool for me. Just like you, I clear many businesses that have a drive-thru and I have to take the wings off or I'm not making it through.

Straight blades are fine but V plows and containment plows (Blizzard, Wideout, XLS...) are the way to go.
  3. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

Short of busting through a snow bank I don't see an advantage in a V plow. Why not go for a wideout or one of it's twins(fisher, blizzard)?
  4. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

If you're doing primarily driveways, I still think a straightblade backdrags better than a V.

For anything else though, I'd miss having a V. You really can cleanup so much quicker.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

get a V and you wont ever "wish you did"
  6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

theres a different technique to using a V blade on driveways that makes it more efficient and less snow at the ends of the apron.

deep snows kill straight blades in driveways.
  7. bskiball

bskiball Member

Long, driffted country driveways. V is the only way to go. I get plenty of calls after the straight blade guys can't clear them.
  8. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I think the ammount of snows, depth of snows, and type of snows you get do not warrant the purchase of a V plow. A straight with wings is all you'll likely need/want. I plow my V like a straight 90 percent of the time anyway. It's more efficient that way. As long as you get a straight that will fit in the "tight" spots with the wings off. My V wont fit in the Bank Drive thru's I have to plow. Which frustrates me when I have to get out and push the shovel....
  9. spencer087

spencer087 Member

so what snow depth would warrant the need of a v plow? Im plowing with a very large heavy truck as well...
  10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

V plows work better with larger accumulations. They are awesome period in comparison, but really start to shine at 3-4" or more.
  11. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

V plows have their purpose. Stacking, Busting through tough set up snow, breaking trail into deep 12 inch plus snow falls. etc.