1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V plows, Why?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RamPainting LLC, Nov 18, 2008.

1. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

I'd like to hear from other commercial guy's why they choose a V plow over a 8-9' straight blade with wings? From my stand point, I think a 9 foot straight blade with wings is more productive than Fooling around with a V plow, pushing snow in a parking lot.

So I watched all the videos from Western and Fisher, all the videos show a guy pushing snow in the scoop position, which is smaller than my 9' with wings and leave a small trail of snow to clean up :) So other than opening up a drive way, and having the ability to roll snow to both side on the first pass, why do you choose a V???
  2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Well, you've opened one up with that question. I prefer a V for several reasons. I can stack higher, I like to be able to adjust to different areas with drive thrus, islands, etc. and for traveling between accts. If you're simply doing large open areas then a straight with wings might be more appropriate. JMO
  3. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

I just sold mine and bought an 8' hiniker scoop plow, I think that will be awesome, at least i hope so!!!! The only reason i would go back to a V is if i lived out in the country and had to get to town or if i did alot of country drives just for busting drifts!!!!:nod:
  4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I will out stack your staright blade for one and another thing that is really nice is to run the V like __/, that way I can contain the snow and still push a far amount foward without having any spill over.

Add wings to a V plow and then your really talking some serious snow pushing.
  5. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

if you plow almost anything from driveways to lots vees are awesome and once make the jump it hard to go back . only other type of blade i'd look at for bigs lots would be a blizzard .and if want a bigger vee most plow manufacturer carry 9 footer's :D
  6. RamPainting LLC

I think a Wide out or XPS would be just as good, if not better for adjusting to diffrent areas like you mentioned. I do like the advantage of the V for driving from Job to Job.

Did stacking become a competitive sport, lol? I'm not going to brake a truck over bringing in a backhoe to the job to make room for new snow. :drinkup:
  7. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

my boss v doesnt leave much behind in scoop, its easier to move snow more controllably in scoop than a straight blade. its not hard to angle both blades at once just like a straight blade moves, and they simply look more bad a** :cool: only straight blade i would run is if i had a truck like a f-650 or f-750 and was doing large lots or roads and thatd be a 10' boss straight blade.

stacking abilities are also better and allow you to stack higher easier therefore leaving more room for more snow
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  8. RamPainting LLC

I looked at the Myers 9 footer V, it's damn heavy :realmad:
  9. stroker79

Sorry, didnt mean it to sound so competitive but sometimes by being able to stack high you may be able to avoid having to bring in heavy equipment to relocate.

I plow alot of big lots (I am a sub) and we havent had to relocate on any of the lots do yet!wesport:drinkup:

And You dont have to brak the truck to stack either! LOL I have lots of videos if your interested in seeing what i mean?
  10. stroker79

11. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Cleanup period. With any sizable snowfall, a straight blade will add 50% to completion times on small jobs (wendys type lots), I'm sure wings help but the versatility off a vee makes it a no brainer for me.
  12. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I agree with all post's. Out stack, scoop for slushy snows, travel, drive thrus. One thing stay away from meyer, a few years ago tehy actually scrapped there v-plow program couldnt get it to work. Buy red.
  13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

isnt the carrying capacity of blade with wings better than a v
  14. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

i don't know about out stacking my straight blade. last year I had some massive stacking going on. I didn't know that this would have come up or I would have got a mesurement!
  15. big acres

big acres Senior Member

My first time with a V was clean-up at an extremely tight apartment complex where snow had to be carried around tight 90 degree corners to get to a place to stack. It was awesome -I dreaded coming in to find the only truck left was a straight blade for that site.
  16. RamPainting LLC

I know what you meant, Just giving you a hard time :D

I'd disagree on 50% more time, Maybe on a straight blade with out wings! being only able to use 50% of the blade.

I've had great success with Myers over the years, as well as Western. Every one has problems with the 1st generation of a new products! Just takes a little time to work out the kinks.

I think so, but i've never used a V plow.
  17. stroker79

18. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i cant come up with better reasons then the previous posters, i agree with them completly.

for wide open lots i can see the advantage of a str8 with wings but if you are going to buy wings anyway then put them on a V then you have the best of both worlds.