1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Plows what can they do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MickiRig1, Feb 9, 2004.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Never used or even seen a V plow in action. I was wondering what can you do with them? One section straight,another angled forward a little for more snow movement? Both have to be forward or can you do what you want with each half? Easy to get the hang of or what?
  2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I love my western V it does take some getting used to
    I work with a guy that has a boss V and the hand control is much simpler to use than the western and the hydraulics are faster, but the center shoe breaks off all the time leaving a trail behiend.
    Either way I would recomend them for large jobs or if you have to move the snow a long distance since they don't spill off snow.
    Just make sure you have lots of power to push it with.
    It's no problem for my diesel but the old 351 gas needed to be in 4L from time to time.
  3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Oh yea and they stack higher than the straight blades in the scoop position.
  4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

All V's have the ability to adjust each wing in ANY postion you want.

The SCOOP position is what is the REAL timesaver! You can carry quite a lot of snow in the SCOOP position, and not leave tails.

The V postition is great for transport (very compact) and for breaking through deep drifts without getting pushed side to side. It just cuts through.

And, yes they can stack pretty good!

I'll NEVER go back to a straight blade.

5. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

Both blades adjust independently. Scoop, 'V', right/left angle or ANYTHING in-between.

No downside compared to a straight blade - when everything is working.

A few more parts, center trails are a problem at times. Overall, MUCH better than straight blade.
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

they do seem to scrape a bit worse in some situations but these points are bareley noticable. other downsided are the fact they cost more and weight more.

The fishstick is more of a PITA to use imo and I like the Boss controller much better but the fisher/western trip edge are much better for a V than the boss full trip. No center trails are left with my fisher, I have heard people ripping the rubber center wipper off the fisher/western but I havent yet and the dont seem to eat em as quickly as the boss eats center hoofs

a bit more of a learning curve than straight but you get spoiled quick when you have to use a straight blade after going V
  7. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

Love my vee, pushed for my dad for 10 years with a straight blade(meyers). Then I bought my own truck 2002 ford f-350 with a 5.4 gasser, with the western 8.5' mvp. And it seems to all the power I need to alot of snow. Some of the other guys I work with when we push have chevy's ext cab and all have straight blades. They windrow it up for me and I come and push it for them and they chase the over flow and keep pushing it back into the center for me and I can stack it higher then they can. Plus I got the pro wings for it but dont use them though cause they pay me by the hour so why should I hurry. But on the center flap kit once it wears down you have to replace both cutting edges and the flap kit aswell. It was like 90 bucks for the flap kit and 190 bucks for the edges. But well worth it no shoes to replace or whatever on a boss plow. Not saying boss is bad but every plow has its bad points. But thats the only one that i know of for my western.
  8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Hmmmmm......wings on a V.......that would make me around 10'6" or so? never actually thought of it, might look into it though since I'm always looking for ways to move snow more efficently :nod:

If you figure why do things quicker since you get paid by the hour why did you buy a V? Like I said one drawback of a V is about a grand difference in price. No offense ment or anything :)
  9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Another thing is a v wont roll snow as well as a straight blade. :D :D
  10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

True :(
    It hits that center hinge and that stops all leading edge side flow.

So if your plowing streets, V's aren't the hot setup.
  11. crewcutenterprises

crewcutenterprises Member

I Just bought a 99 f250 gas. Now I wanted to get a 7.5 western ploy. $3780.00

But I heard the MVP is a nice plow, 4400$ installed. is that good

Located in Annapolis Md.

I will be doing 2 lots that i have contracts on now, 1 is a large church/school, the others will be some residentials. i will be subcontracting also.

Any help or ideas...
  12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

By all means, ......only $620 more? :eek: You'd be CRAZY not to go with the V

It will save you TONS of time, plus they're easier to maneuver in tight spots.

Plus 7.5's are BARE minimum for width on a pickup.

You'll make that $620 in the FIRST season in time savings.....EASILY!
  13. ikold

ikold Junior Member

V's are not all there cracked up to be

I have a Western MVP plow on my 01 dodge diesel I replaced a 8 ft Western straight blade. I've found the the V is MUCH heavier which means more wear on the front end of your truck. It does not scrape nearly as well as my straight blade did. It has many more moving parts (to break). and it angles about 25% slower than my straight blade did. If you are getting paid by the hour I would suggest getting an 8ft straight blade. The scoop function is handy at picking up windrows but Prowings do the same thing and cost only 170 bucks!
    BTW the new mounting system for the Western pro plows is fantastic, very easy to mount an unmount.

Would like to hear about peoples production rates with skidsteers with containment plows vs. pickups with plows.

Good luck.
  14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

They're 2x's QUICKER than a straight blade angling!

I heard Western/Fishers were slow to angle/lift, thought they'd address that.

Pro-Wings cant pierce through DEEP drifts and break trail through HEAVY snow like a V.

Western/Fisher V's and Boss V's are VERY different animals. Both with their strengths and weaknesses. For the BOSS, its tripping (or lack thereof) everything else its seems to trump the others.
  15. If saving time in large lots is what your looking for than you should also consider a blizzard 810 or 8611. They scrape better than any strait blade I've ever used. (mostly due to the added weight) The real benifit however is the amount of time saved. No other truck plow can clear a large lot quicker, not even the V's. I personaly cut the time on my large lots in half over using a 9ft strait blade last season. They run about the same price as the V's and I will also never go back to a strait blade again.
  16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

How do the Blizzards work? The ends move forward or what. I have seen a few around but they are brand new never seen one in action. All the guys I work with or around have straight blades they don't even have prowings.
  17. 04superduty

The blizzard has wings that extend straight out 1 ft on each side. You can either extend them out, our extend them and angle them forward, each controlled independently, then they freeze up and you have a 10 ft straight blade. JK :D :D
  18. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

I do some banks with narrow (8’5”) drive-through lanes and the V-Plow’s scoop position gets the snow out of them in one pass, without making a drift, because I can adjust the scoop size to fit. Under many conditions, that single-pass trick is just not possible with a straight blade. An 810 Blizzard or a plow with wings could scoop it out like that if the lane “happens” to be the right size.

It’s the same kind of a deal with a heavy snow on narrow parking lots, the one’s with a single drive lane and parking spaces on both sides. Rather than picking a side to block with a straight blade, you can make a pass down the middle in the V-position, and then come back through in the scoop-position and carry the snow out of there in successive passes. Or if the snow isn’t too heavy, just scoop and carry it away on the first pass.

Another use for the V-position besides compact transport and drift-busting is back-dragging. Back-dragging in the V-position (or a modified V) is like using the scoop-position going backward. Pretty slick for pulling snow out of those tight spots.

Additionally, obstacles like circle-drives are not nearly as much of a problem with a V-Plow. I don’t know about the Fisher or Western, but the Boss has the power to adjust the wings on the pavement, even when moving a load of snow with a 9’ blade. Boss’ hydraulics are fast, so you can quickly change from the scoop position to any angle you need to get the snow out of a tight spot.

Not enough is said about the Boss Smart-Touch controller. If you haven’t used one, there are no “modes” to switch in and out of. Moving from any position to any other position is one finger motion away, at the tip of your thumb. If you’re angled right, and you want to angle left, you don’t have to move the right wing forward then move the left wing back. Just press both of the left-wing buttons at the same time and the controller is smart enough to know what you want. It’s the same deal for selecting the V-position, scoop, up or down. Even with a standard shift truck, you can quickly learn to clear snow on the move; like you were scooping it out with your hand and wrist.

As people have discussed, the snow-catcher (center hoof) on the Boss V-Plow is its weak link. They work great when new, but they wear out quickly. If your blade edges are worn, you should trim the hoof to match them or it will prevent the edges from having full contact with the pavement and/or the hoof may knuckle under and wear out even faster.

In the straight position, the Boss V-Plow trips as it should. But in the scoop or V-position it trips really hard. If you didn’t cuss before, this too you will learn, quickly. So trip-edge V-Plows have the advantage there. V-Plows are heavy so a truck should have the beef to operate them. I’d never put one on a ½-ton truck.

With all those time saving features, if you target the right kind of accounts, you should charge at least 50% more per hour using a V-Plow. If you’re clearing a bank lot twice as fast as the guy across the street using a straight blade, it would be the same expense for the customer if you charged twice as much. So if you charge 150% of the competition’s rate, it will be a bargain for both you and the customer. But if someone doesn’t have the smarts or stones to command a higher rate, at least they can service more accounts over a given amount of time with a V-Plow.

If your accounts are large and fairly open, an 810 Blizzard would be much faster. But if you have accounts with a lot of obstacles and tight spots, a V-Plow will make you more money. It just depends.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  19. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

Forgot to post this ...

smarttouch control.gif
  20. 04superduty

I have the Smart touch controller and its very easy to use. My hand doesn't have to be in a certain spot to operate the plow. I usually have it in my right hand and am able to turn around and look out the back window, with the controller in my hand, resting on the passengers head rest. its well worth the added expense.