1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v plows for driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FIREMAN Q, Nov 22, 2010.

1. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

just wondering how a vplow works with drivways. I have no experience with them so any pros or cons would be great!!!

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

In short....V plows are the most versatile plow out there. As far as just for driveways, I've used mine in "V" position only a few times for driveways buried from the city plows. Last year we did a driveway that had an over hang above the garage and a pillar between the two doors. I put the plow in V position and was able to fit between the pillars and get closer than any other plower they had, so they said.....they haven't called back this year yet, IDK. If your just doing driveways, is it worth the extra couple grand....I would say no but if you have intentions of doing parking lots then yes, it's worth the investment.

3. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Anything a straight blade can do, you can do with a Vee Plow. You can leave them in the straight position for driveways, if you prefer.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ive plowed for 23 years with a strait blade, driveways only. I then bought a Boss V (I got the impression from plowsite that it would improve my plowing time.

I wont go back to plowing with a straight blade. I use the scoop a lot, the V only a couple of times.

5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

you can eliminate about 75% of backdragging with a v blade.

v blades are the best option for driveways especially when the snow gets deeper.

go into the drive center in /\ mode then windrow both sides out and then drag out what little didnt get windrowed and scoop it into the pile

6. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I was increase my productivity by about 30%. I only do driveways. I use the "dogleg" _/ or \_ position quite a bit. Also a "mini-scoop" position works great.

7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Saw the other post looking to identify what you have there. Since you're only looking for the plow, it won't be as pricy as the entire setup, AND you're likely to find something "lightly loved"

Good luck! Local 1153 up here, by the way

~Kevin

8. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

If you have the extra money, go with the V. The versatility is unmatched.

9. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

Yard medic - local 2704

Thanks for the info guys. This truck would be a combo truck doing Comms and residentials. It's primary function is driveways I guess I know my answer now.

10. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

I’m having a blond moment trying to figure this 1 out. Are you back dragging in scoop mode? :confused: Or driving straight in the driveway in Vee mode?

11. theplowmeister

from MA

Ya I got a V and a strait blade and I dont see that I backdrag less with the V

12. PlowingUpward

PlowingUpward Junior Member

V plow

Hey Plowmeister, do you have any pics of your TJ with the v Plow. Where did you get the 7.5 foot and how much does it weigh??

13. theplowmeister

from MA

14. Dodgedzlr

Dodgedzlr Junior Member

Weekend Im having a moment also. Im still trying to figure out how its quicker to go into a driveway in /\ position and reduce backdrag. Hey who isnt for reducing there time.

15. phlaug

phlaug Junior Member

Clarification of V-Blade vs. Straight

I've been browsing around the site looking at various threads that mention V-Blades trying to understand the reasoning for purchasing one versus the other, and this statement is interesting, but I don't see an explanation of the why--why is it that a V-Blade would eliminate three-quarters of my backdragging?

And beyond that explanation, any thoughts on what would be better--I plow:
    - a three-quarter mile gravel road
    - a tight paved driveway with a turn out that has a wall (so can't push it off the end) and all on a slope so gets tricky at times
    - a steep paved driveway with multiple bends that is tricky as all hell--plow truck stays at the top of it pre-storms so at least the first pass is down hill, as my current setup has a tough time getting up at times (admittedly, currently straight blade is too narrow for the truck, so rear wheels are running over snow on the tight bends...)

Reading what I could find, I almost get the sense V vs. Straight is almost a Chevy vs. Ford sort of topic--it's what you were brought up on that matters. But any specific particular advantages/disadvantages folks can share would be greatly appreciated.

16. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

let me clarify, i mean about 75% of the amount of snow you backdrag can be reduced.

heres my technique:

-go into the driveway down the middle in /\ position then lift plow as you go and straighten the wings out and backdrag back down what you just pushed

-go up the left side in / position windrowing the snow onto the lawn then as you near the garage lift and straighten plow and backdrag what you just pushed. repeat this step on the right side of the driveway.

this way you mainly drag out the little bit of snow in front of the garage instead of dragging the entire driveways worth of snow out and you also clean better since you first passes before you drag are pushes rather than pulls.

there is no debate and its not a Ford vs. Chevy scenario, V blades can outperform straightblades 90% of the time (last 10% being a windrow only situation). With a V blade you can have your straight blade plus so many other positions.