1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-plows? Automatics?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by northernsweeper, Aug 27, 2004.

1. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

anyone out there plowing with a V-plow,I would be interested in hearing how well they hold up in a curbed parking lot.they don't trip do they? I have only plowed with a stick and never replaced a trans. how good are the automatics these days?Pray for snow!!

Duster
    89 chev.3/4 4spd 7.5 fisher

2. snoking

snoking Senior Member

i have plowed my whole life(8 years) with a boss plow.....they trip just fine. if your in scoop mode and hit a curb the wings fold back and the the plow trip on the curb like any other.

3. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Automatics are fine for plowing. Biggest thing is to keep them cool and change the fluid regularly. An in line filter is a good idea. Check on fluid options/additives that may be more resistnat to heat.

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

add a transmition cooler and a gage and keep below 250 degrees
    I have used low range and never had to replace a transmition in 22 years of plowing.

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

V plows trip like any other plow, there great in parking lots but ive only used one once. automatic is the way to go for plowing, you get sick of the manuel trans after a while.

6. northernsweeper

many times I would get out of the truck,step on the clutch leg,and about fall on my face after a heavy day of plowing.i just never thought the automatics were reliable so I shyed away from them.but I should also say my trucks were all from the 70's and things have no doubt come a long way since then.how are the automatics on u-joints?I am looking at 2 f350's.both are 7.2 diesel.one has an auto and the other a 5 speed.What do you think?Also both trucks are flatbeds.Is it pretty easy just to strap a sanding unit on a flatbed?without the sanding unit would it be to light in the back to carry a v-plow?thanks everyone.pray for snow!

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

northernsweeper, I put a two yard sander on a 3500 flatbed. I use 2" straps at each corner which hook to the angle iron rails of the flatbed. About as easy as it gets. Just need to check tightness, especially when you first hook up as the straps will stretch some and the sander will "settle" which leads to the straps loosening. I just keep a close watch in the rear view mirrors for the first hour or so, then periodically as I go.

You will definately need some ballast on that flatbed. I have a 9' Fisher plow which I think weighs about 1300#. In 2wd and an empty bed, I can really tell it. I run the sander with a yard of sand just for ballast. Then I'm also ready for those sanding flag downs. I've found having the sander to be a very lucrative move. A lot of plows around here, but not many sanders.payup

8. northernsweeper

Mick,are you running the diesel or gas 3500?stick or auto?do you have to worry about the sand freezing up in the hopper,or is it a mix?also any idea how much a 2 yard sanding unit costs?any preference?

Pray for snow!!

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

'96 Chevy 3500 turbo diesel. Auto. I get my salt/sand from a supplier who guesses that the ratio is 10% salt mixed with his sand. I keep a load in the hopper overnight in an unheated garage and have never had any freeze or clumping. All my equipment is Fisher. This sander is a Fisher ProCaster with the 16" chain. This means the sides of the Vbox are steeper than the narrower chain, which means less likelihood of clumping. I also specified the 11hp Honda engine. The only problems I've had were of my own doing (like reading the instructions on how to start it). The only reason for me to get out of the truck is to open the gate. I think I paid $3800 two years ago. One of the better investments I've made. This is the only sander I've ever used, but I'd advise anyone to not scrimp on a sander. I can only imagine some of the nightmares I've heard. Not worth trying to save a few hundred dollars.

10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I dissagree that the boss v trips just like a regular blade. just my expereince but I dont like the way the boss v trips(or dosnt trip sometimes) Being in a f550 with a contractor box full of tools and a 160 gallon transfer tank and having it come to an imediate stop sucks! Its hard on equipment, your teeth and it sends your coffee all over the freaking place! I liked the rest of the plow though.

I am running a fisher EZ V and love it. JMO but a full trip has no buissness on a V blade. The fisher and western Vs are good blades IMO

11. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Automatic

This is my 8th winter & 4th F250 and they all have had automatics 460 or V10s in them. I don't have but a 7.5 Western pro-plow but I carry a lot of salt & pull a trailer year round. I only keep my trucks for 24-26 months = 80,000 to 90,000 miles. Always have had good luck out of the transmissions (so-far), I change the transmission fluid & filter every 20,000 to 25,000 miles. I like the automatics seems to work fine for me. If I ever upgrade to a diesel or a 1 ton dually with a dump bed I would probably go with the standard transmission. I just really like the automatics!
    Boast :waving: