1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Plows and Straight Blades

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by greenscapes inc, Dec 5, 2005.

1. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

I own both straight blades and v-plows. I bought my first v-plow in 2002. After buying a v-plow I would never buy another straight blade. My question is I see a lot of you buying straight blades and my question is why?

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i bought somthing better than a V, (blizzard)its a straight blad and a scoop. i had a V and it sucked.
  3. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

Never ran a blizzard, what sucked about your v-plow?
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: You ran right in to that one!!:nod: :waving:
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

IMO, if you don't have any reason to push windrows of snow to one specific area, there's really no need for a "V". Here in MN, I've got enough room to just wing everything to the side on 85% of my accounts.

That's why my backup plow this year, I bought a new 8' straightblade.

However, I do have a couple of areas where I need to push snow straight, in a couple of bank drive thrus, and a common parking lot, but where I don't plow the whole thing, where you can't just wing it to one side.

As for the rest, the Blizzard wouldn't really work for my drive thru's, since I need a "V" that's just under 8'.
  6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I have never operated a blizzard plow, but I can plow circles around my strait plow with my V plow and do it faster and stack it higher too,
    and plow it in Minnesota too:waving:

Maybe it's how most of my lots are laid out but I cut almost a third off my time when I got My V plow and for doing residential they really shine.
  7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Well I have been plowing for 25 or so years and got my first V blade 4 years ago. I will never go back. I have sence looked at the Blizzard plows and liked the concept. Just the local dealer will not carry any parts and I don't want to buy 2 just so I have parts. So I made my V blade wider by adding factory wings. They install in about 1 mininute each and make the blade 11' wide like the 8611 Blizzard. it can V, scoop, strait , angle, aditional cost was a little over $700 for the wings.
    By the way the snow behind me in the vally is ice and snow over 100' deep. You need a big blade here.

Got wide.jpg
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Nice set up Dawn! I installed a set of thoes wings this year too, on my
    8.* foot Vplow, now it just needs to snow!!:waving:
  9. LwnmwrMan22

The thing about those wings.....

How do you get snow up and over a curb??

Doesn't the outside edge of the wing catch the curb first, with the main part of the blade still 2-3" back away from it when you're pushing straight into a curb?
  10. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

HOLY S*** thats a sweet view.. Forget about the plow, I wanna live there!:nod:

Good luck this year guys
  11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Notice in the picture the wing tios are a hard rubber and will give enough to go over a curb. But normaly I lift my blade just before I go over one then when all is done I clean down the curb if needed.
  12. westwind

westwind Member

V-plow = no backdrag, we service a lot of residential accts. Own one v plow, and it only does lots. Nice for certian applications: large snowfalls and push only areas. Hard to justify the cost if your customer base is mostly res.
  13. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Who said a V plow can't back drag?.....
    I used a Fisher 8' blade last year and this year I'm using the 8.6 MVP. I wouldn't go back to a str8 blade. The V blade does it all. It does more then a str8 blade period. It might cost you $800 or so more but I think it's well worth it.
  14. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

I would say people still buy straight blades because of the price, thats what there use to, simple easy to work on systems.
    I own a blizzard 810 now and will be going back to a boss v soon...
  15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I half agree:waving: A strait plow can back drag better than any
    V plow.:nod:
    To say all V plows can not back drag is an over statement.
    We run both V plow and strait plow and if you are digging out loading docks or any where your going to back drag you will do a batter job faster with a strait plow. It's about allocating your assets..
    Or where to use what?..:waving:
    But other than that, give me a V plow any day there so much faster you can afford to spend a little more time back dragging any way:drinkup:
  16. Groundmovers

Groundmovers Member
    from NE CT.

New Fisher V being installed on my F-250 in the morning.:D My final decision was the quotes about drive thru lanes...

...for the additional $700, I would hate to look back after making a pretty big investment in a straight and say ... "I should have....":cry:

Quick question for you guys running Fisher V's, which controller do you use and what do think of it. I have heard that the Fish-Stik is more cumbersome than the joystick, if you are changing often; such as with residentials...

BIGREDDODGE Junior Member

Hey Dwan, just curious how wide is your plow when in the vee going down the road? Are they easy to take on and off, or do you pretty much just leave them on?
  18. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

10' wide in V (over size) it takes about 2 minutes from the time I leave the driver seat till I am back in it to remove them and put in back of truck. I do not run with them during the day from job to job but at night when there is less traffic I usually leave them on. Local law enforcement does not mind as I do work for them when needed. When doing bank drive through etc. I have to remove them also. They also help in backdraging with the V blade I think because of the added weight. I have the smart lock cylinders on this blade and it backdrags almost as clean as my strait blades do. In the scoop position the motor has a hard time lifting all the weight if there is any additional snow on the blade. so I have to straiten it first. then lift. Unless I am stacking which the pile helps lift the blade.Also because of the ease of hooking up to the BOSS system I do not run with the blade on the truck unless I am on the route plowing. It sets in the yard till I need it.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  19. LwnmwrMan22

I second everything he said... except the part about his wings. :nod:
  20. Pete7

Pete7 Member

I used my Fisher 8'6" V for the first time last weekend and I thought it was awesome. I only did a little bit of backdragging and it worked fine. I said to the dealer when I saw him that if anyone is ever considering the V tell them it is awesome. I can not ever imagine buying a straight blade again.
    For the guy that asked about the controller, I have the Fishtick and think it is great. I just have to find a place to mount the cradle. It is nice being able to switch hands when you want to.