1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BWhite, Feb 26, 2003.

1. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Would a V plow enhance efficiency with res driveways ......combined with my backplow ?
  2. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i think so.
  3. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Most driveways around hear are usually 10-12 feet wide, leading up to the house where it widens, I couldn"t see it just for that, but some people are pretty picky about where you put snow, it would be good to gather it and put it all in one place. I say go for it:D
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The V knocked about 1/2 hr off my residential run
  5. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

I can do 25 drive ways in 2 1/2 -3 hrs with my V. Also it is great for breaking open long driveways.
  6. chris k

chris k Senior Member

You better believe it. I bought a Fisher V this season and will never buy another stright blade. I do a few commercial but mostly residential. After the first few storms it really shaved some time off the route.
  7. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I think a V plow would definitely enhance efficiency in a residential or commercial application.
  8. Plowski

Plowski Junior Member

I'm using a Fisher 8.5 V this season after using a Fisher 8' straight blade for 20 years. For me, the jury's still out on time savings. I'm still doing my 40 driveway run in about four hours. I can see this improving though, as I get more comfortable using the scoop mode.

For breaking through tall drifts at driveway ends and making the first pass down a drive, the V mode is great and seems to be much less stressful on the truck.

I recommend the V.
  9. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

Probably not worth it.

The main adavantage of a V IMO is the scoop position which you already have since you have a backblade. Plowers with just a front blade use this so they don't have trails like a straightblade does so it definitely saves them there. I think a V would do a better job but probably not much quicker. When you have a drive that goes from one pass to 4 in front of a three stall garage you pull all the snow to one spot and then you could drop your V and go cruising through it and it would spread the snow real well, the same in a deep drift. With a straight blade you angle it and it pushes the truck around a bit but it basically does the same thing just not as well. Most people I see plowing drives have their V blades angled one way or the other. On commercial I would say definitely get it but on residential Yes you will save time but it is probably not enough to justify the cost.