1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by noaubab727, Nov 21, 2008.

1. noaubab727

noaubab727 Junior Member

Just a thought as I look for another truck to buy....98% of the trucks have straight blades on them. I prefer the 8'5" V blade. I live in central Indiana and they are very common around here. But yet they do not seem to be very common anywhere else. Why??? My Dad lives in Jones, MI and he says mostly straight blades up there! My philosophy is a V blade can do everything a straight blade can do plus some. So I guess I am asking are these just popular in my area or are you using them up north in heavier snows???

2. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

Just a guess but cost??

3. Total_Mayhem

Total_Mayhem Junior Member

I have used everything for the past 16 years from a manual turn 8' 6" winch operated home built mount , to a Western 8 ft Pro plow, to a Meyer HD-10 ft. Last was a BOSS 8' 2" V Plow, Now just Bought a truck with a SnoWay 28-V 9'1" I would never go back to a straight blade after owning the V plow.. as you said does everything a straight blade does plus a lot more.. Depends on the money you have to spend..

4. sluggermn

sluggermn Member

hey guys I am fairly new to plowing so I need an education. Why is a v-plow so much better and what can it do that a straight blade can not?
    as much detail as possible would be appreciated, I have not even seen one in use so any info you can give me would be really helpful.
    slugger

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

A V has 2 advantages of a straight. It will bust through drifts easier in a V alot esier than a straight and if you have jobs where you have to carry snow or push windrows long distances you can hold the snow in the scoop positon.