1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-plow Worth it

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redneck farmer, Jan 31, 2013.

1. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

I have bene plowing with a stright blade ever since I started plowing. I do mostly residentials and I've talked with other guys I know in the area who have v-plows. I was wondering peoples thoguhts on here are they worth the extra money? I have a couple of accounts that the scoop mode would be handy, but I was wondering other peoples thoughts. Thanks
  2. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

If your wanting to scoop,try putting some wings on your straight blade...
  3. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Once you go V.... you'll never go -----
  4. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

For Commercial work they are worth every penny, for residential the benefits are minimal unless you do a lot of really long drives that have the potential of deep snow where the V would come into play on an opening pass.
  5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

(No No No!! V-plows are forbidden!!! You use only Wideouts!!)
  6. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I used straight blades, and they became my comfort zone. I was talked into a V when I traded a truck about 5 years ago, and now 3 of my four trucks are equipped with V plows. There is a slight learning curve to using them effectively, but my guys and I all agree they are the best way to plow. We plow almost exclusively residential, and do 120 driveways.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did you know you can make your v plow into a straight plow?
  8. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

Will not put a straight blade on a pickup again only a v
  9. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

lol that's great
  10. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I hate using a straight blade now that I have gotten used to a V. 3 of my trucks are now outfitted with Vs. More in the future.
  11. dr_destructo

dr_destructo Member
    from Indiana

Aside from the obvious plowing benefits, I think what I like most about my MVP's is driving the truck withit in the "V" position. Its much safer and easier to navigate when you are not plowing, but simply driving around verses a straight blade.
  12. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

For driveways a straight is fine, a V is better.

For lots a V is the only way to go for me, been using them for 8 years.
  13. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

I don’t know who said this or where I read this on here. “A V plow can imitate a straight blade, but a straight blade will only ever be a straight blade.” Seems like pretty sound advice to me.
  14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

15. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

No way! :eek:
    Can you angle it too?

The thing that bothers me off the most is when people are ignorant about the controller with regards to the left and right and how you only need to press the two buttons next to each other and not diagonal each other.
  16. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I will never buy a strait blade again

I plow ONLY driveways
  17. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

If you want to improve efficiency and versatility on per push or seasonal accounts. Yes.

If you work by the hour. No.
  18. DKG

DKG Senior Member

I think the increased eficiency of the V makes the straight blade one of the most expensive blades going. A shovel is the most expensive blade ever.
  19. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think the only draw back to having a V a long time ago was that if you had to back drag it was not good in holding it straight but the new ones have corrected that problem . i would lean twords a v for my next one.
  20. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Yes a v plow is better, more efficient, and in addition it feels like it's easier on the truck when opening up a long drive with deep snow. I've been very happy with my meyer so far, check them out along with boss, snowdogg, fisher.