1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v plow wings

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by doyles, Feb 5, 2012.

1. doyles

doyles Member

so on the fisher form alot of people seem to be having problems with the wings on the v plows creeping in other words if your set in scoop the wings slowly creep back
    and i was wondering do you people with westerns have that problem
    thanks

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The Wide-outs sometimes have trouble with dirt in the valves when they are new and the wings will leak back by themselves even without pushing snow. V plows can do that too but it is not a cronich problem. When they do leak it's usually the crossover relief valves.

3. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

I think their very touchy about dirt and people that change the fliud every single year have no trouble.Changing fluid corrects the problem but once the creeping starts it will more likely to return if poor maintnance habits persists.I change mine twice a year and never have that type trouble,two quarts of hydralic oil and 8 minutes is all it takes,could not be any more easy.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Certainly clean fluid helps but remember that when you do the service that a piece of dirt 1/4 the size of a human hair is enough to reak havok on a hydraulic unit. They have no filters, only very course sump screens so you need to be very careful to keep it clean when it is open. And changing the fluid is not the only thing you should do annually, pull the reservoir to inspect and clean the sump screen & magnet. Then wipe the reservoir out and refill it with clean, dry fluid. (sounds creepy, "dry fluid") Plow oil is a desecant so it absorbs moisture from the air. If you have a bottle of open fluid that is worth keeping put the cap back on tight. A bottle of fluid that is left open for a few months in a humid environment will absorb water and then freeze when it gets cold.

5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Never have that problem, and I use scoop mode alot. I have my wings on all of the time.

I stack in scoop mode too, and the wings have never pushed back when stacking, even if the pile is icy.

I have one long run that I do where I have it in straight mode angled to the left, and then come up on a section where there is like a wall on the left, so I angle it to the right when I get to that part while I'm still moving. Even with a full blade, the hydraulics have never had a problem changing the angle while the blade is full and I'm moving.