1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v -plow vs winged plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Blooms, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Blooms

Blooms Junior Member
    from PA

Looking to purchase a new plow what are your views pro and cons on a v-plow vs a wing plow.. I plow large commercial and homeowner driveways.. Thanks ussmileyflag
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

There are no cons with a V blade.
  3. EPM

EPM Member

Depends on what the majority of your lots look like and if you often have large heavy snowfalls and have to break open drives and such.
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have both types of plows. If I could have only 1 it would be a winged plow for large open areas.
  5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have a V that has wings.........got it all covered. I also have a straight blade with wings. I like them both but the V is more versatile.
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My V has wings too. As fast as it is it is still a PITA getting out to take the trailing one off when I have a large area to cover.

I have never had my V in the V position. Either straight or scoop.
  7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Why do you have to take the trailing wing off? Mine never come off...wide areas, driveways, lanes whatever.....
  8. Brian Young

How can I sum this up without writing a whole page.....A V blade is going to shine when doing smaller lots and the detailed work like cleaning up as I call them,terd rows. Also in the event of piled snow say at the end of a driveway the V position works the best compared to any straight blade for obvious reasons. But if your mainly doing long pushes making wind rows then basically any plow would be fine. As far as "winged plow" I'm assuming you mean a straight blade with universal wings, they help but fall very short from a v blade. If your doing large lots and driveways, I would look into an expandable type plow. But you have to know what your doing in the first place! I saw a guy last year who had a Blizzard 8-10 and he left an entire parking lot full of terd rows,lol
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

IMHO the only thing a vee does better then a rotational wing blade is drift busting or initial passes down roads covered with heavy snowfall. There are systems that allow rotational wings to fit though anywhere a vee could and carry double the amount of snow of a vee. The larger expanding rotational wing plows like the 810 are hard to beat in open lots while the smaller Blizzard speedwings and snoway 29R can clean up, stack and provide snow re-distribution faster and clean then a vee.

Of course I agree that if you cannot operate the equipment in a efficient and productive matter it doesn't matter what equipment you use. Improper operation of the equipment renders it useless
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You don't have to take it off and most of the time I don't. The trailing wing is actually running square to the same direction you are going. This slows down the snow flying off the blade and sometimes leaves trails sooner. If you drop the trailing wing the snow goes farther. JMO
  11. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Vee plows can not angle on vee mode wing plows can enought said
  12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Why not?????
  13. Brian Young

That is a great point! I learned this last season while plowing in our loader with a full box of snow. That comes in very handy.
  14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

winged plows CAN NOT Vee. enough said
  15. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

CET ::: I dont own a Vee and I cant answer that question I just have heard that on the vee plows that when in a scoop mood that the plows cant angle unlike the western wideout , blizzards and fisher xls . The wing plows have full functions unlike the V plows that can only go up , down in vee mode
  16. Brian Young

Your right, they can't and when carrying a full load of snow its nice to be able to direct the snow one way or another without loosing a bunch. Thats the point I was making with the loader comment. An articulating loader can turn with a full box of snow vs. say a backhoe. They all have their place....lets just go plow some snow.:D
  17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think I get what you are saying. With a V plow in scoop you will loose your scoop to angle one of the wings. With the 810 you can put it in almost full angle and still have both wings folded in. You are right, never thought of that.

I have 2 Boss V's and 1 Western V with wings. I also have a 810 on my truck. 2 years ago we had to move 2 same size piles to the middle of a parking lot. I was on 1 side with my blizzard and my other truck was on the other side with the V and wings. We only had to scoop and go straight about 100 feet. It wasn't a race and we both had lots of time to finish but he smoked me and actually came to my side to help me. The V will out scoop the 810 all day, I don't care what the math says I saw this first hand.

Both plows have there place. If I could only own 1 I would have an 810. Even my straight blade has wings. I would put wings on my 9'2" but they are all ready big for the truck.
  18. fci

fci Senior Member

I think I am going into my shop and make a "V" plow with hydraulic retractable wings. I will call it the Blizzard Boss!!! payup
  19. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Give it a trip edge and you'd have the ultimate plow.
  20. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

If you had to move this pile around a corner, I don't see the difference? If you're turning left with a v w/wings, just let the left wing back until you straighten out. The blade would be shaped just like the 810. Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't own wings for a v.