1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-plow vs. Wideout

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by michlwillms, Feb 4, 2010.

1. michlwillms

michlwillms Junior Member

I just sold my 8' western plow and next year I'm wanting to either a V-plow or Wide out. My Western dealer told me that the wide out won't fit on my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 because of the weight of the Wideout. If you look on Westerns video, it looks like the Wideout is on a 2500 Chevy. Anyone come across this yet.

If I can't get the Wideout, my decision is made, if it will what are your guy's opinion on the V vs. Wideout?

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Hang it on your 2500 and run about 1000# of ballast. You'll be fine.

3. michlwillms

I plan on putting a 3" lift on my truck this summer, so I think the front end should be fine. I think the wideout just looks more functional than the v.

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

If you lift the truck you will need to make custom brackets for the plow frame or your wing cutting edges will wear like butter.

5. michlwillms

Since I'm purchasing it new, won't the dealer be able to make those adjustments? I also thought that with the new ultra mount and how it floats, that it will line up even.

6. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

im in the same boat as you! i have a 95 chevy 1 ton 454 and they told me that western dosent recomend a wideout but its what i want if it can be done im going to do it just thought it couldnt be done.

7. michlwillms

Sold my plow and now they're calling for a big winter storm. Kicking myself, oh well, there's always next year.

8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

There aren't any specs on the website, but the Ultr-Mount does not provide any height adjustment on the frame-end. This would give you +/-1" of truck height and still maintain a fairly level a-frame and prevent uneven edge wear.

My truck has a 3" leveling kit and it sits about 1" too tall for my Blizzard 810. I will be installing a 1.5" kit and some #047 springs this spring to correct this issue.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  9. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I have a western wideout mounted on my 07 Ram 2500 and have no problem I run about 500 of ballast. Your gonna love the wideout I had wondered about alot of things too maybe being to heavy But I was told that the western MVP plow is accually heavier that the wideout buy about a 100 poundsussmileyflag

10. snowbiz007

snowbiz007 Junior Member

I have a Artic , Blizzard Extended, Wide Out and used a V blade higly reccommed the Wide Out. Fast and easy to use. Get the back dragging plate works great.

Good Luck
    John

11. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

For big open areas, a wideout can't be beat. It seems like v's are run in areas that have significant snow-if you have any steep driveways, combined with sometimes deep snow, a v no question will have the advantage. A v with wings also gets quite large. For parking lots though, I don't think the productivity of a power plow can be matched by a v.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A lift kit does not increase carrying capacity.

13. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

If the lift kit included upgraded springs, then it could increase the ability of the front end to hold weight. However, ball joints, bearings, tie rods, and other front end components all drive front end axle capacity as well.

14. michlwillms

The dealer tells me that the 8 1/2' v plow will fit but the wideout won't. There's only a difference of 75lbs.

15. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

You can always just buy the plow and install it yourself. I wouldn't worry about the weight if I were in your position. If the wideout is what you really want (parking lots, larger open areas), then get it. Your truck probably isn't under warranty for the parts that will wear out anyway, the generally is the biggest concern.

16. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

Wideout fit?

I just looked at Western's quickmatch on their website for your year and model. It appears that a wideout should work on your truck. Check it out first b4 you do anything else.

17. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

If it's a gasser you should be fine with a wideout. If it's a diesel you will run into weight issues. It can still be done, but you might not be legitimate.

18. michlwillms

I know this is going to be a stupid question, so don't give me a bunch of crap, but what is ballast. Western say's it will work with 610lbs of ballast.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ballast is used to offset some of the weight of the plow. It really should be called counterweight. You put the recommended weight, or more :nod: , as far back in the bed of your truck as possible. It will actually take some of the weight of the plow off the front suspension.

An added benefit is that the extra weight makes plowing much easier.

20. michlwillms

What does everyone use for ballast in their truck, I didn't need one with my other plow?