1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Plow vs Straight Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Katzman, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Katzman

Katzman Junior Member

Am trying to decide on whether a V Plow or straight plow makes more sense for my first purchase. Would prefer a V plow because of its versatility and bottom trip blade. I have a 1999 GMC Sierra DRW and would like the Fisher V, but have been told it's overkill for snow fall in the Southern Michigan area and there are issues with installation on my truck. Am now looking at a Blizzard Power/Speed Wing (weight consideration with power) but want something that can back drag. Meyer was another option for the V plow, but have been told they still can't get it right. Would like to stick with these three brands as they are the only local dealers we have for commercial plows and want to make sure we can get service when we need it. Can anyone make suggestions?
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I was having the same delema a few weeks ago. First it was a BOSS then a Fisher, then a Blizzard speed wing, we went with a Fisher Extreme V SS. I let you know the things I liked and disliked about them, The Fisher pros: bottom trip, stainless steel, over-all speed of it and just the reputation of Fisher and the mechanical hook up. cons of Fisher I havent found any yet other than the price,lol BOSS pros: I was going to go with a poly V , easy hook up, the speed is decent. cons: does not trip in V or scoop positions, electric hook up is easy but something more to go wrong, springs stretch and break more often. Blizzard pros: price, great design (speed wing), the scraping ability, weight was the least of the three. cons: Again the hook up, something else to go wrong (a guy I know had a brand new one and the hook up malfunctioned on the first few snowfalls) The paint doesn't seem to hold up, did not like the joy stick control, and the fact you can not angle the plow while transporting (the wings will hit the road). hope this helps. In my opinion I would stay away from Meyers. If I had to choose one of your three, it would be the Fisher 1st then Blizzard
  3. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

go with a V

I bought a Boss straight blade for my first purchase and recently bought a Boss V. I wish I had 2 V's instead of a straight and a V. Don't really like Boss, would rather have a Fisher because of the trip edge. Boss V's without smartlock cylinders are hard to deal with when backdragging, tripping is also a problem with BOSS. Just my opinion.

4. Katzman

Katzman Junior Member

Thanks Brian for your insight. Our first choice is the Fisher as well, with the Blizzard second. Obviously, price is a concern, but we felt we could make that difference up by adding only one customer allowing for the speed of the plow. It's nice to hear first hand from users rather than rely on what the salespeople tell you. We have done lawn and landscaping, but this is our first year in the snow removal industry and want every advantage we can get. Appreciate your advice.
  5. Katzman

Katzman Junior Member

Thanks Ryan. This really helps my confidence in choosing a V plow. Most of the contractors and dealers I talk to around here swear by the Meyer, Western and Boss straight plows, but I just felt more comfortable with the versatility of the V Plow. Nice to know I'm not too crazy.
  6. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I have always ran straight blades...But last year I bought my first Western V-Plow.
    Takes a bit of practice to get use to the switch ,But I think Its a great time saver...The scoop Is what I find that I use alot...not so much the v position...Remember that you can also dog leg one side at a time...You have to be a good piano player...To run one LOL.
    the price tag is a bit more than the straight blade.
    I looked at all the V plows and I picked the western over them all...a overall very well built plow...IMO...with a trip edge...Best of luck with your new plow.

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

I ve been plowing for 20+ years,, starter out w/ a Western good solid plow, ended up with several Meyers also good plows, when I started doing major commercial lots I got 2 Fisher 9.5 V Ran them for 2 years! no problems, as things got bigger and we have to do more with less, I switched my 2 primary trucks over to Blizzard 8611LP and a 810ss on a skid-steer, Why ? every one asks?? if you have ever seen a crew with Blizzard plows work you would have no question who can move the most snow per hour.
  8. Ripple

Ripple Member

all i can say is

Once you go V plow you will never want to plow with anything else!
  9. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

I think Blizzard is definitely the way to go. I have a 860 straight plow and it is great. My buddy has a 810 and can definitely plow faster with that one. The wings hold the snow alot better so there is less to "clean up" after you make your passes. Also, around here, Blizzards are quite a bit cheaper than Boss and Western plows.