1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-plow vs straight plow in the mountains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bigk40k, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Bigk40k

Bigk40k Junior Member

I will be getting a newer truck and a new plow this year, I have a snow-ex hd straight plow but on the new truck I was thinking about a v-plow cause everywhere I read about it, it seems to have all the advantages, however, an old friend who has been plowing in the mountains in Colorado where I am, says that v-plows can't cut through the berms the county trucks create at the start of driveways which is why he is against them, this is a big hang-up for me as I have cut through several 2'-3' berms up here and don't want to be unable to break through them because of having a v-plow.

Does anyone have experience with v-plows in the mountains and with berms in particular?

I am looking at the snowdogg vx85 if anyone has any comments about there personal experience with it.

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

:waving:Nice to see another Greenie.......Welcome
    Your old friend is waaaaaay off base....V plows excel in breaking through berms/windrows, drifts and deep snow plowing.
    From want I've seen SnowDogg plows are built pretty light, I would go with a BOSS, Western, Snow EX or Fisher depending on how close a full service dealer is.

kimber750 likes this.
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Nothing could be further from the truth about V plows. Like Buff said this where a V plow shines the most. With a straight you are trying push the snow, a v plow moves it to the side. Trouble I have had with straight blades and berms is if I angled the plow it would shove the truck sideways. I had a few drives I did last year that I wouldn't of even attempted without my V plow. One was roughly 1/4 mile, and 30"+.

BUFF likes this.
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

When you think about it, a v plow can be every position that a straight blade can be in, but a straight blade can not be in every position that a v blade can... right??

Dieselplow82, JustJeff and BUFF like this.
  5. Bigk40k

Bigk40k Junior Member

Actually snowdogg is thicker metal on the blade itself, the lift cylinders are the same size, the side cylinders are a 1/4" smaller. Are you talking about other parts too? Cause they seem pretty good from the statistics I've compared

6. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

I cut thru 3 feet of snow with my V two years ago during Juno, got a video of it on my web page.
    V is the way to go for that.
    I used a western pro plus commercial for several years and then switched to a V and will never go back because it is so versatile.

JustJeff and Philbilly2 like this.
  7. Bigk40k

Bigk40k Junior Member

Thanks for everyone's quick reply, looks like I'll be getting a v-plow on the new truck. Drive safe!

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Blowing threw the drifts on the rural roads to my house is the reason I sport a v now. :nod:

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

On paper they look comparable, I've seen more twisted moldboards and "A" frames on SD plows than any other along with failed welds.
    A few members of PS have gone from Western to SD and went back to Western after one season running a SD.

SnoFarmer and Philbilly2 like this.
  10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I don't know why you keep talking about Snowdoggs looking flimsy or whatever wording you used. As someone stated here, the moldboard is thicker, and the angle cylinders are the same size (the other poster was wrong about this part), and Western doesn't even advertise the size of their lift cylinders on their website. I've been using mine commercially for four years so far, and have yet to have anything fail. All I've done is routine maintenance and have had zero issues.

To the OP, I'd get rid of this friend! Seriously though, he's been plowing with whatever straight blade he's had for many years I'm guessing, and has zero knowledge about V-blades. But he doesn't trust "those new fangled things" at all. Simply out of ignorance. It's been stated many times on here before. A V blade can be a straight blade, but a straight blade can't be a V blade. The V just gives you many more options than a straight blade does. Think about it using common sense, and which one makes more sense to you?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Well HJ I figured you'd eventually pop up....... Everyone is entitled to their opinions whether they're good or bad. Rather than getting into a pissing match aboot who makes the best plow and taking this thread way off topic I'll hold off and we'll butt heads another day over something more worthwhile.... Thumbs Up

12. JustJeff

Fair enough. Sending you a PM. Edit. Tried sending you a PM, but with the new format I can't find that option. All I saw was "Start a conversation", and I believe that's a public conversation, which I'm not trying to do. So, I'll just have to skip it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  13. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I will give my opinion.....Get a "V" plow....Dont get a Snowdogg...:drinkup:

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Click my username and click "Start a conversation" this is the new way to send a PM. If you think I'm jacking with you post a question for MJD here: http://www.plowsite.com/threads/help-and-support-thread-plowsite-upgrades-and-enhancements.167326/ .
    I can't wait to read what you're wanting to say.......:popcorn::popcorn::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

LapeerLandscape likes this.
  15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You're old friend is a :terribletowel::terribletowel::terribletowel::terribletowel::terribletowel: deluxe.

Run away from anything with the suffix of Dogg. It's junk. Whether it be SaltDogg or PlowDogg or SnopusherDogg or whatever they call their crap.

SnoFarmer likes this.
  16. JustJeff

It wasn't anything big Buff. No big deal.

17. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

What about Olddogg.....Should we run away from him??...:drinkup:

Philbilly2 and 1olddogtwo like this.
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yes..............

Philbilly2 likes this.
  19. Snowman

Snowman Junior Member

Western has a new stainless vplow out. Man that thing is sharp!!!

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Ok fellas...... you know the routine, reel it in.....