1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-plow vs Straight new purchase looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dash, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Dash

Dash Junior Member

I am new to the plowing industry and I am making a purchase of a new plow for my truck. mostly residential and small commercial accounts. I decided on a Boss plow from a local retailer but I am looking for opinions on straight vs the v-plow. this is my first purchase and a big one to make just before the holidays. any pros or cons to them?

2004 F-350 DRW
  2. nekos

nekos Senior Member

im not 100% on this but i believe a straight blade scrapes and back drags a little better then a Vplow. also unless im missing something ... if you are mostly doing driveway's , there really isn't much need for a Vplow.
  3. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

if ur lookin at v plows maybe you should look at the Blizzard 810 power plow...just a thought
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I just bought a new 8' Boss straight blade for a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500, and a new 8.2 Boss V for a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 this year.

The V does a wonderful job backdragging, if not better than the straight blade.

One thing you'll have to know, in order to backdrag with the V-plow, you'll have to put locking cylinders on it, which I THINK was about another $300.

As far as your operation, and the always available "go with a Blizzard 810", I could not use a Blizzard. I have a bank where the drive-thru's for the teller are smaller than 8'. With the V-plow, I can put it in scoop mode and push straight through the drives.

As for pushing piles somewhere, the V-plow will cut your time in 1/2 or 1/3, if you've got to move it to a certain area.

If you're just winging it to the side, or plowing drives, the V won't do you much.

You've got to know what your accounts are now, and what they may become in the future, and base your decision on that.

No offense to you Blizzard owners, but the guy said he's already decided he's going with a Boss. I'm getting tired of seeing the "Blizzard 810, Blizzard 810" comments.

Yes, it's a good idea, but not everyone can use such a plow or has a dealer around their area.
  5. Dash

Dash Junior Member

i would say 90 percent of what I will do will be residential driveways. Someone I know said "Hey you need to get a v-plow" but I'm not sure if he meant it would look cool or if I really needed one and the few hundred bucks would be nice in the bank account on the less expensive plow. Also any opinions on poly vs steel. I like the no rust idea.
  6. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare Junior Member

i bought the v-plow it gives you more options to stack snow...as for the rust comment,it's only the moldboard that is poly every thing else will rust. in my opinion having a steel moldbord welded to the ribs gives you a stronger plow.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I have no experience with the poly plows.

As for NEEDING a V plow for residential drives, I would have to say absolutely not.

I've been plowing for 8 years now, and this year is my first year with the V-plow.

The only reason I bought one, was because in my previous statement, I've got a couple of the banks where I can't get an 8' plow through straight, and if you wing to one side, you get the buildup of snow on the edge of the drive, and can't completely clear it out.

If it had snowed alot, or had drifted in from the NW, I would have to snowblow the 7 drives total, on 2 different banks, with the little 22" Toro paddle snowblower that I use for sidewalks.

For me, it was worth having the V-plow, plus I can much quicker move piles of snow around parking lots, which someone COULD absolutely do with a Blizzard, but I wouldn't be able to get the Blizzard in the drives.

Other than that, all of my plowing, we can just wing to the side, pretty much any side of the lot, so there's no real use for the "V".
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I've been the snow biz for 23 years now, I have three plows 2 strait and one boss V, I love the boss for residential drives. In the scoop mode you have no trail off to the sides, resulting in lower snow banks and less spill off on to the yard. You can move all of the snow to where your stacking it faster and with fewer passes with the v plow. It is easer to push the snow around obstacles with the V plow and you can stack it higher too.
    yes, a strait plow does back drag better that a v plow so it will take one or two more back drags by the garage door. The v is great for opening drives that are drifted in and opening the ends are a breeze.
    Out in a big open lot a big strait plow will windrow a Little better.
    We'll See what the new boss wings do for me, I have only used then in a couple of small snows.
    Which ever one you get just get at least an 8 footer and push it with your favorite 3/4 ton truck.
  9. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

just got a boss stright blade 8ft today installed in NH no tax
  10. Dash

Dash Junior Member

anyone else have an ideas?
  11. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Are you speaking from experience? I have two trucks with straight blades and one with a v. The v is much better all around. Wether its in a driveway or parking lot you can't beat them. I would never purchase another straight blade. For the little bit extra money they are way more efficient than a straight blade.
  12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Personally I like straight blades but thats JMO.
  13. tonybands

tonybands Member

Anyone who would choose a straight blade over a vee, must have never plowed with a vee!payup
  14. Groundmovers

Groundmovers Member
    from NE CT.

I will be installing a new plow this week, I still haven't decided which way to go. I have only used straight for about 8 years.

I have asked two friends who have vee plows. One says that it is the greatest thing ever, he does more residential driveways and a few commercial lots. The other says that it isn't worth the money, he mainly does business lots. :dizzy:

I hadn't thought of the "Bank Driveup lane" scenerio before as I don't have any bank customers but who knows in the future. It would be nice to know I wouldn't have a problem with the vee on cleaning any drive thru lanes... I would hate to look back and regret the purchase. I can see the benefits of the vee, can't think of any negatives (except $$$)...

So I think I'll buy a vee plow 'cuz they look cool......:p

Anyone have a spare crystal ball for sale or rent?:confused:
  15. tonybands

tonybands Member

My crystal ball says "you will be happy with the vee":dizzy:
  16. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I own all three types of plows.I do everything from upper class homes to Wal Mart super centers. A straight blade is worthless without a set of Prowings. I have a Boss 9.2 V which is much better. I also bought a Blizzard 810 2 years ago. When the Boss is wornout it will be replaced with another Blizzard.
  17. Groundmovers

Groundmovers Member
    from NE CT.

I sure hope so...I just had it installed today:D
  18. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I have run everything including straight,V and Blizzard. I plow everything from small residential up to mid size commercial. I will save the Blizzard promo and just say that in my professional opinion, a straight blade is a waste of money. Even on driveways, the V will speed up your clean up time.

If you want a good opinion, just make sure you ask someone who has actually owned and/or operated the various options you are exploring. There are a lot of opinions out there from people who don't actually know.