1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V plow vs straight blade

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by NH Plowman, Mar 22, 2016.

1. NH Plowman

NH Plowman Junior Member
    from NH

Okay Guys and Gals, time for a new plow, my current Diamond is 11 years old and hasn't given me any major issues, but it's time to upgrade. Having plowed for almost 30yrs with a straight blade I'm considering a V-Plow. Probably Fisher as it's the only manufacture that has a true repair/parts in town. Any feedback on the new V's as far as longevity/problems? I'm curious because the more stuff that's added it increases the chances of problems.

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Vplows have too many moving parts.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Straight blades.....

Vee blades....

Expanding blades....

Switch blades....

6. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

If you don't need it don't spend the extra cause it is not necessary, if you want to though go for it. It sure does make getting the job done easier but it isn't a big deal.

7. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

V plow can be straight, can a straight be a V?

8. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have had both - I plow driveways and parking lots. After using a V plow I will never buy a straight plow again. They do not cost that much more when you look at how long a plow lasts. I can do more faster with a V plow. My V plows have so far never let me down. But I do keep a spare - this keeps the one I am using working. HA
    I have used V plows for around 25 years.

9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Depends on how hard you ram it threw a small opening Thumbs Up

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

My made one on accident.

11. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

My first plow was a straight blade. Plowed with it about 7 years before I switched to a V. Now that I've had/used both, I would never be w/o a V in my arsenal. My opinion is that a straight blade windrows better because the center hinge of the V causes interference to the snow when trying to use it like a straight blade to windrow. Having said that, the scoop mode is invaluable for spot cleaning on return trips, like catching the snow square left in a parking space around a car left in the lot when you originally plowed, but has since left. It's great to be able to put the V in scoop and carry that snow across the lot to where you pile without having to chase trail off. The truck also drives better and is more maneuverable with a V vs a straight blade. What would be really nice if you could afford it would be to have one of each. Go out on initial attack armed with a straight blade and do your first plowing/windrowing, then go back to shop and switch to the V for nightly property checks/cleanups after the storm. My $.02 worth.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  12. Lots of differing opinions but I had straight blades for nearly 30 years. Started out with a used EZV that I completely rebuilt, moved on to a XtremeV (SS) and now an XV2. I'll never buy another straight blade.....

13. Mark Oomkes

I still think the V plows have too many moving parts.

I gave up on them around 10 years ago because of all the moving parts.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  14. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Chain lift has to many moving parts....................

15. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

My thoughts too.

I have and use both. With that said....I have often thought about Wideouts. Then you have a scoop to do what a V does.

But you add more hydraulics which can be a problem, however only if you have problems.

So, go scoop.

16. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

My trucks have too many moving parts.

17. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

I've been plowing since 1988... Parking lots exclusively? Man I'm old!
    Anyways, I always plowed straight blades till 2011 when I got my first V. I was very reluctant at first, but the sales staff assured me I would be happy. Holy crap were they right.
    Then in 2013 I got a expandable. I'm still not sure which I like best. Both have pros and cons. I can tell you this; I will never buy another straight as long as I snow plow. The Fishers I have, they have been essentially bullet proof. A couple minor issues, nothing serious.

18. Saber

Saber Junior Member

I hate the controller, too many buttons,too close. I wish there was a trigger finger switch to control the vee.

19. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Ya, took me a bit to get used to it. Even the first plow of the year I have to re learn a bit! Not a issue though, I love the V!

20. Mark Oomkes

I got my first Vplow in 1990.