1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v-plow vs standard plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by roorda, Jun 24, 2001.

1. roorda

roorda Junior Member

Hello, I was wondering if the added complexity of the "V" and "C" plows on the market are worth the added benifits.
    I presently own a 1980 GMC 2500 4x4 with a tried and true "Artic" 7.5 foot plow. The plow has been virtualy maintenance free for the past 10 years besides minor crack repairs some new shoes and a new edge blade about 3 sesons ago. The combo has always done the trick, sometimes 24/7. I am now considering a new truck and plow combo as my old unit is getting tiered, But Idont want a complicated unit that gives me many problems. My new truck is a 1999 f250 sd. Any insight into this would be greatly apreciated.

Josh Roorda
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Well... I guess that would kind of depend on the type of plowing you do. V-plows are great for larger commercial lots. I really wish I had one... and a truck that would hold one for that matter. They can reduce plowing time by as much as 50%. I think a Western V-plow with a polyurethane edge on it would be a great set-up for your truck.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

While some added complexity is to be expected with extra features, in the case of the V plow it is very well worth it. I will take a v plow over a straight plow any day. Breaking open drifted or heavy snow fall areas is such a god send, that plowing with a stright plow seems so outdated. All new plows that we buy will be V plows.
  4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

While I'm not speaking from experience here (still got a straight blade, the $$$ aren't there for a new "V" just yet :( ) I feel the same way - the added complexity and weight of a "V" plow is worthwhile.

"V" plows are fairly well "tried and true" by now, unless someone abuses and neglects their equipment I don't see the additional complexity (more moving parts, cylinders & hoses) of a "V" to be a problem.
  5. roorda

roorda Junior Member

Thanks for the input, It seems to be fairly clear that the V-plows are well proven in preformance and reliability, and I will definitly check them out closer.
  6. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Arctic plows with Monarch pumps are pretty hard to beat. I could tell you where every crack you've welded has appeared. I beat up the marketing rep for Arctic two summers ago about building vee plows so I don't have to pay the big exchange rate on the well-built American iron. He was too focused on playing catchup with Fisher and their trip-edge plows in the eastern market. I think he tripped over a dollar trying to compete in that market when focus on a well-engineered vee would have strategiclly been a better move. Fewer and fewer Arctics sold here now - displaced by red American vees - lots of them.

Get a pot of tea and do a search on the vee verses anything topic - lots of verbage.
  7. roorda

roorda Junior Member

That brings a second question I was wondering about, Is the trip-edge setup better than the system that BOSS uses? Which is a better setup?
  8. plowking35

from SE CT

That brings up a whole separate topic. I am of the belief that V plows and full trip dont work IE BOSS.
    In fact the boss plow wont trip in the v position, it has to retract the wing first and then trip as an angled blade.
    That being said, I have seen alot of fisher plows with bent backer plates on the moldboards due to the wing when fully retracted asorbing some impact and creasing where the angle cyl. attaches.
    And even tho the western is a close cousing to the fisher there are several differences that makes the western better IMO. One among them are the bump stops to keep that backer plate from bending.
    There are alot of users of boss plows on this site that love them and will never own any other type of v plow, I think that is a true testimate to how well they are made.
    I however truly like the western unit and have 2 of them. The trip edge seems to wrok very well, not to soft and not to hard, add to that a urethane edge to further absob energy and it is a nice overall system.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Dino brings up a good point. Most of us only have one type we are running. I have a Boss and love it! But, saying that, if my fist V had been a Fisher or Western I'd most likely be sitting here recommending them. I think most of us have been satisfied with the big three V's overall.

Pay much more attention when someone who owns something says they DON'T like it. To me, that is what is important. Hinniker may be an example of that here at lawnsite.

I will probably try a Western or Fisher next, and I know Mark O, who always has run Boss is also trying a Fisher next. I'm sure I will be just as happy as with my Boss.

My personal advice would be to get a V no matter the color! I'll never buy a straight blade new again. ( I had to say new, since I just got back from buying 3 old ones! :))
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2001

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Dino, I,ve been meaning to ask you, what is the eventual results of the backing plate bending ? Is the plow wing itself going to bend or lose its curve ? Have you ever seen a piston go through a wing with this condition ? If somebody has an older Fisher V they may know the long term results of this problem. If you have one please post.
  11. plowking35

from SE CT

From what I can gather the fisher engineers say that the plow was designed to bend those plates rather than the a frame or push plates. That being said what will happen over time, is the bushing that the angle cyl attaches to with be ruined and in turn egg out the cyl end. Given enough time I see that cyl will break, along with the wings becoming bent further in the center. As the backing plates get more fatigue, and they are bend to max capacity, it will trasmit the force further down the line. With that in mind I would not buy the fisher till this problem is resolved. I can gauruntee that it will not be warrantied.
    The western unit is alot different, the backer plates are about 6" longer, because the angle cyl attach much lower on the moldboard. Western also uses bump stops the keep the force off the backing plates.
  12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I used a Fisher V as my first this year. I have been running Fishers since I started plowing. I had no major problems. I found that we actually used it more for residential. When using it for comercial we mainly used it for cleanups. The straight blades roll snow better on long passes. I am a firm beleiver in trip edge of trip blade. I have used trip blade plows and just don't feel comfortable seeing that blade lay down in front of the truck.