1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V plow VS scoop

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnsrusinc., Oct 19, 2004.

1. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

Their have been many discussions about V plows (boss or western) and blizzard (810) plows. But what are they up against each other. I have used nothing but straight blades so iam new too this concept.
    Please help thanks to all.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite!!

A thread similar to this was posted earlier. To save a lot of arguing, I'll tell you that it's all in everyone's opinion on which one works better. I've ran a Boss V but never a Blizzard so I can't compare them.
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Argue? Us? lol We LOVE to argue! At least until someone's feelings get bruised. Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then its a sport! ;)

The problem is that we always argue the exact same points over and over, so I agree... best run a search on V-plows if you want to read about it.
  4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I've never used either one myself, but I've read most of the discussions on them closely and have thought about it alot, because when it comes time to get rid of my current truck (a half ton), I intend to move up to a 3/4 ton and get either a V or a Blizzard type with movable wings.

I don't plow commercially; only my driveway and a few others here and there as favors. I don't do any lots. I'm in the country where there's alot of drifting, so I would prefer to have to ability to bust through the higher banks and drifts (which a V presumably is better at), but I also want a better ability than I can with a straight blade to push snow piles where I want (to avoid constant drifting problems mainly), which I could do with the V in a scoop position.

If I did not have the issue with the high banks or drift busting, or if I was doing open areas such a parking lots, I would probably go with the movable wings, as that seems much more flexible and productive.

No matter which one, I would also look for the highest moldboard possible, as I get alot of snow blowing over mine now (only 26" or 29" I think - a Snoway MT90).

Just my opinions and thoughts, of course.
  5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

one good thing about the v is, well the v. when you drive around from site to site, the plow is tucked in against your truck on both sides. a straight blade is a trade off, you either have one side out and the other in, or the blade is straight.
    guess we need a boss v blade/ blizzard scoop. would only weigh about 1500 lbs.