1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-plow vs plow with wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossplower, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

What do you think is better a v plow or a straight plow with pro wings on it . Which plows faster ? Which one carries more snow ?

2. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

the Vplow is by far a better choice. Wings on a stright blade wont hold nearly the amount of snow a scooped V will. Im not sure what you mean by "faster" You'll get the job done in less time with a V plow, so i guess its "faster"

3. Husker1982

Husker1982 Member

The V is better for moving snow. The straight is faster if it is a lighter snow like 2-5 inches. A straight with wings is better than just a straight by itself cause the wings really help with the tail off and cleanups.

4. butter

butter Junior Member

The v-plow for sure will push more snow and reduce time on site than pro-wings. Now if you really want to move snow and reduce time get yourself real wings (turkey wings). I have a "box plow" on my truck and push 1/3-1/4 more snow than a v-plow. Been there done that and on to bigger and better stuff and less moving parts to fix.:drinkup:

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have both,I like the V much better. I keep bending the pro wings,and damaging the rubbers on the bottom.I hit them on curbs and when pushing snow. Maybe im to hard on them,but once you put them on,you never take them off,they work so good.Also the straight blades scraping abilitys are not as good with wings,this is apparent when casting snow to one side. The side it is being cast to lifts up and doesnt scrape clean.So you have to get out and remove that wing,then it scrapes great again.Then there is transport,my 7.5 Fisher with wings is 9'2" wide.Too wide to be legal,but I drive down the road anyway,since the accounts are close. The 9'2 V is only 8 ft wide in the V position.The v plow stacks higher,moves more snow,and doesnt have any of the drawbacks mentioned,also my Fisher 7.5 is showing signs of wear from the wings,I have a few cracks developing in the center pin/moldborad area,and the holes in the moldbaord where the wings go thru,well i bent one of those a bit.Once you tweak a Pro-wing you need a sledge hammer to get it off,and a 20 ton press or a torch to straighten it out.I added a lot of bracing to mine at first,eventually I made a new set of wings out of 1/4" thick steel,and braced those,problem solved,now ill probably rip the plow right off the truck one day.Also while you can scrape to curbs with a pro wing the V w/ U- edge still scrapes it much better.I would sya pro wings would last a long time if you had no curbs or obstacles in your lots,or frozen banks.

6. Husker1982

Husker1982 Member

I have an 8'6" poly with wings. Of course I have to take the wings off to transport but when I get to the job they are easy to put back on. I have used it for years and have not had any problems. I would say to you John maybe your a little to rough with your own equipment. Either that or you should invest into markers so you know where the curbs and what not are. I have always been told not to put wings on a poly. I wondered why because I have two poly plows with wings and have not had any problems in 3 years with either.

7. Husker1982

Husker1982 Member

Hey John I forgot but was wanting to ask you how you like the trynex 8000. I thought about getting one but heard that the sides eventually push out on them and motor draws too much electric even with a dual battery setup. Let me know. Thanks

8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Thats why I LOVE my Turkey wings ! They float and
    trip with the blade. Can adjust the chain out so they
    spread out a little and I can make a 8 ft. pass at a
    time !.......Adjust the chain tight to get between
    parked cars or pop them OFF in a flash to back blade
    up close against walls, doors, etc..................geo

9. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

will the wings void any warrenties on the plows? I have a new ultramount i'ld love to put pro wings on but don't wanna void my warrenty.

10. Husker1982

Husker1982 Member

No mulch it shouldn't void your warranty.

11. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Husker1982,
    Go to the Ice Management Forum to see the big thread on that Trynex spreader with lots of detailed posts by John & others.

John,
    You gotta replace the rubber on the wings with Urethane!! Much better. I actually just got a new 1.5" piece to replace the 1" pieces I had put on mine. The 1" thick urethane will still fold back when running the curb lines, but not as bad as the rubber did. So I'm thinking trying the 1.5" will stop that from happening.

12. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Husker,I am not to rough w my equipment,pro wings just arent meant for anything other than moving loose snow from one end to the other of a lot.After that they should be pulled off,I left them on. I no longer use them so no biggie.If i am to rough,you should see some of my competitors!! I have never broken anything on my plows,or hit anything bigger than a 3" rock that fell off a stone wall. The pro wings just arent Hd enough,IMO. BRL, I do have the urethane from my pro wings, since i stopepd using them i never bothered to use it.

13. seven

seven Junior Member

First I would like to say I have been surfing this site for about 2 weeks know before I decided to become a member. I have read alot of interesting and helpful topics( just wish we could get some of that white stuffhere) IMO V-Plows, pro-wings, and turkeywings in my experiences are all good products I have used each of them but if you are talking about moving more snow from point A to point B the quickest I can tell you that turkeywings are the answer to that question! I have never plowed with something that has that much holding capacity before with my truck. I can clear lots in half the time or less, they go on and off really easy( but I don't hardly ever take them off). Just my 2 cents worth
    Sev

14. columbiaplower

I think turkey wings may put alot of stress on your trun.....i have never used them but i know with my v-plow that the snow rolls up and ios throw out in front....im not sure a blade with wings would do the same...also i cant see how you could move more snow with wings than with a vplow

15. butter

butter Junior Member

Columbiaplower

The turkey wings are the same as the v-plow, you have to watch how much you bite off. Light snow load her up as much as it will allow, whereas wet heavy snow you better not put too much or IMHO you are workin the truck too much. I have a diesel pushin my box plow and can load it up with whatever type of snow and it will push till the cows come home, just try not to load it up when it is wet snow.:eek: As for the v-plow carrying as much snow, there is no comparision. Say your v-plow is 9'2", in the v position it is 8', the same as my 8' straight blade. Now i have 8'wide and 2' deep cavity which is 16sqft+height which is the same as a v-plow, opposed to 8'wide and we'll call it 3' deep cavity which is 12sqft as you end up with a triangle not a rectangle. Doesn't seem like alot, but once you add height and do a cubic foot you notice a big difference.;) I have used a straight, v-plow, and currently use a straight 8ft poly Artic with the removable box wings and can honestly say it is night and day difference between all three, as each has there pros and cons and the set-up i use now works best for me in my application.:drinkup:

16. columbiaplower

i understand what your saying i think im gonna have to see it firsthand to really buy in to it