1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v plow vs plow with wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jay brown, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

what are the advantages of a v plow (on a pick up)? seems like a lot of contractors use them except around our area. almost all of us use meyer with pro wings. are we in the dark here?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  2. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

You know what a Meyer with wings will do. It's a good setup to move a lot of snow and clean up quickly.

V plows will do the smae thing but look better doing it. They wil clean up more quickly. Blizzards and wings are roughly equivilent, but the Blizz costs a coupla grand more.:bday:

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Hardly anyone uses v plows in our area. Never seen a Blizard plow around here either. But you do see alot of straight blades with wings in my area. I figure I save at minimum 35% in time with my straight blade and plow wings. We use Pro Wings and box wings that we built.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I see alot of straight blades and v-plows around my area, actually about the same number for each, but absolutely no blizzard 810's. I am considering putting wings on my straight blade soon....

5. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I have both a V plow and a blizzard 810. I will never own a regualr straight blade again. The V plow can go in a ^ or v to scoop or break through a ton of snow. great deal for a couple hundred dollars. The 810 cost less than the v plow and is great to you can scoop only one wing and have the other wing straight and clear a bunch of snow with no run over or scoop the wings to clean up. Both of these plows are worth looking at. Once you try one you want want anything else.

6. KenP

KenP Senior Member

We use both the WESTERN V-Plow and the WESTERN Pro Plus with the wings. I like the V myself, but a lot of the other guys like the wings. It's a matter of taste, either way with a WESTERN plow you can't go wrong. That's just my $.02!payup

7. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

The advantages of the blizzard is that you can clear alot more snow in the scoop position as of width. But with the v-plows you can hold alot more snow with out losing it, because of the greater angle.You can see this demonstration being done here.http://www.blizzardplows.com/main.html
    Is it hard to get the hang of the v-plow as in controls?

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You have any pictures of the box wings?

I would like to do this with my Boss for the drive thru's. V plow would be nice Blizzard to wide. But I ain't gonna spend $5k so I thought of just going to a welding shop and weld a couple of plates on the side but have not figured out what to do about cutting edge. I am sure raw steel would leave nasty marks on some blacktop.

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I'll get some pictures give me a day or two. yeah that was are problem too. Basically we just got some rubber to use as a cutting edge. If you were to use steel on the ground it would dig the crap out of uneven asphalt. I will ge tyou some pics though.

10. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i have a few questions and don't wan't to start a new thread ...
    do pro wings angle out , or do they turn your plow into like a box plow ?
    also , how good are they for cleaning up curbs ? can you scrape to the curb with out damaging the wing's ?
    one last question. if they angle out , do you have to lift the blade before stacking snow onto curbs or is it just like a straight blade ... you push right into the curb and let the blade trip to push back the snow ?