1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-plow size 8.2/9.2?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by paul0609, Nov 10, 2012.

1. paul0609

paul0609 Junior Member

Looking at putting a v on my new truck. I will be plowing my small business parking lot and a driveway, the truck is a 11 chev 2500hd extended cab short box. I was gonna go with a 8.2 steel vxt but didn't know if that would be to short. I don't want it to be too long that I can't get into tight spots in the parking lot. Any thoughts would be great.

2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

We have all Bosses for each unique application . If your looking for a tight fit app , I'd would go with the 8'2'' . I have difficulty myself going down city streets with my 9'2''. Side view mirrors are the usually the victims . Forget the 10' DXT unless your in an open lot and access to get there freely .

They never miss a beat with preventive maint. Thumbs Up
    [​IMG]

3. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

Go with the 9'2" you'll be happy that you did

4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

You might be surprised with some of the tighter areas you can make it fit just by working the wings, especially if your used to a straight blade. When I was buying mine, the installer tried to tell me that I would have problems w/ the 9'2" and insisted that I go with the 8'2"...I'm soo glad that I didn't listen to him. If parking spaces are narrow, then I need about 1 1/2 spaces wide to clear...seldom ever an issue because if I miss a couple, I can usually get them on the clean up.

Also don't forget you can add wings, which would add another foot on each side. I started using the wings last season...I got so comfortable with having them on that I felt like I was plowing in slow motion other times when I wasn't using them. Their not cheap, but well worth the investment.

5. chitown sparky

chitown sparky Senior Member

I have had both an 8'2" vxt and now have a 9'2" vxt and I can get in the same places with the 9'2" as I did with the 8'2" I have the same truck as you except mine is an 07 2500 ext cab short bed and love the 9'2" why better, (less passes) the only thing I want is a leveling kit because when I go down the road in full vee the corners of the plow hit the road when I hit a bump hope it helps

6. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

If all I was plowing was a small lot and a driveway I'd definitely be running a straight blade with steel plate collectors like I used for a dozen years before I required a v-plow. Just my experience but sounds like a v may not be your best choice.

7. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I would say go with the 9'2" V. Most of the time you will appreciate the extra foot of blade - big time saver!

8. paul0609

paul0609 Junior Member

I need a v to carry the snow to the end of the block where I stack it. Otherwise I would have a straight blade. I used one a couple of times and it took over twice the time with the vee and the v comes in handy in my cabin drive way when it hasn't been plowed for a month Thanks for all you coments

9. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Get the 8'2" and if you feel you need it wider, the Boss wings are best addon out there.

10. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Right on, I agree a straight blade is not very efficient as is but add a pair of collectors (such as in the link below) and it cannot be beat when plowing between/tight to vehicles, plowing tight to curbs or walks, garage doors, sides of buildings, around corners, etc. Nothing is more efficient ... wings don't even compare. And you can still windrow fairly well with the collectors until you get real deep and heavy and can't get it to throw the snow over the bank on the roads. This and breaking trail was why I had to buy a VXT. I have a few that I push the snow down to the end of the street also and the straight with collectors work as well if not better than the 9'2" VXT. I miss the straight with collectors also at the beginning of the year on gravel ... the VXT really digs comparatively. The collectors really help to keep the blade from digging in ... big time.
    Aaaanyhow, I doubt you'll be happy with an 8'2" V ... without wings ... just too narrow in scoop or v. Plan on adding wings to the 8'2" or go with the 9'2". The Boss wings are heavy and pricey but well made and very quick & easy to add/remove. Good luck!

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=137738&page=2

11. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

mopard, is there any chance you have a pic of your 2012 with the vxt??? i would love to see that.
    Thanks
    Robert

12. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I'll get a pic soon. i wanted to wash her up first but mother nature is not co-operating ... pouring rain and this morning a couple cm of snow, heh heh, supposed to be fairly decent the rest of the week.

13. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Sorry, kinda forgot about it again ... better late than never though?

[​IMG]

14. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Mopard,
    Is that the same plow from you're other Dodge.
    Plow is very clean
    Or is it a new plow and truck.Dont mean to jack thread.(sorry)

Tim

15. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

All new but the 2010 VXT I sold was in amazing shape ... very little rust or wear. I got good money for it so it was cheaper to buy new rather than buy all the pieces needed to mount on new truck.