1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Plow shoes and other V ????'s

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by indianabc, Dec 15, 2003.

1. indianabc

indianabc Member

Used my new Boss 8'2" V plow today for the first time. Only about 1 inch of snow - but wanted to try it out before the real snow hits. I have a few questions:

1. The plow shoes. The center shoe under the V pin seems to be a little low. I adjusted it up but I am still seem to be leaving a center mark. I read in other posts to get rid of the shoes, but I heard on a V plow you need to leave the center shoe. Is that correct? If so - where is the proper height for that?

2. When in V mode it doesn't clean well. Didn't hardly touch the 1" - once again, just a center mark.

Overall I am not impressed with the clearing. Seemed to leave some snow behind. I am expecting too much?

2. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

BC... Loose the plow shoes :D they will only continue to frustrate you when plowing. You will also be out plowing ( if they are on ) and find nothing but the post left after several hours of plowing.

3. DadnSon

DadnSon Junior Member

DITTO !!
  4. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Lose the shoes!
    I had to lower my mount when I first got my Boss 9'2'' . You v should sit flat on level surface. Now it cleans well!
  5. indianabc

indianabc Member

Okay - that was the feeling I got from reading other posts. BUT JUST TO BE SURE - I can remove all three shoes. I swear I was told be the dealer not to remove the center on the V - plow.

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know if you should remove that center shoe, as I don't have the "NEW" type.

But on my older one, I've been running shoeless since the first season or so. There is no benefit that I know of for using them.

Here is a picture of mine and as you can see, the edge is worn down an inch or two leaving only a little gap under the center section.

7. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Remove it!
    With just the center shoe your plow will always be riding on it and your blades will be off the ground !
    ( I owned my plow two years before I even knew I came with one! My dealer forgot to installl it):gunsfiring:
  8. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

het TLS
    I have the same plow as you ! I don't Know if you have it but ther is a kit that gets welded to your cutting edge the stops snow for getting through the center!
  9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

So I hear! :(

Can you possibly get a picture of these for me?

I see them on the BOSS site but I cant for the life of me figure out how they work. I'm sure I can make them. If not at least get them drop shipped, as my nearest BOSS dealership is almost an hour away.

Would I have enough edge there to weld them to? As I'm soon going to be installing U-Edges, and likely keeping THESE edges right where their at and putting the Urethane over TOP of these, then a length of bar stock to bolt to on the outside.

Even if you have 35mm, I'd pay for you to mail them.
  10. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

My center shoe was torn off a long time ago. The outer shoes are still on, but they are set so high that they don't even touch the ground. I say take 'em off, they never helped on dirt anyway, back when they were all there and set right.
  11. TSG

TSG Member

I have a template of the snow catchers if you want me to mail it to you. They cost about $18 for the pair from Boss.

Email or PM me if you want me to send it.
  12. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

im not quite understanding why everyone is recomending removing the camel toe, if you were to remove it you would be leaving a steak of snow where ever you plow...if i have a problem with the shoe being to low i just bring out the saw-all and trim her up a bit.....

I would not take it off, unless you want a sub-standard job
  13. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

I have the Boss Poly V, 8'2". All three shoes are off. The center 'Hoof' is still on and required.

It's different that the metal shoes that look like canoe anchors.

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

I also had a little snow to try my 8.2 power-v on and was actually impressed with how well it cleard that small amount i was kind of nervious.apparntly that is the key loose the shoes!
  15. indianabc

indianabc Member

okay - okay - okay. All three shoes are gone!

Thanks for the help!