1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Plow Selection

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rf2014, Feb 17, 2014.

1. rf2014

rf2014 Junior Member

I bought a 2006 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins 5.9L. FGAWR is 5200. I am looking for a plow to do a 1/4 mile private road into the cabin and get me anywhere on the lake pulling my fish house. Not looking into getting into the snow plowing business. Looking at a BOSS due to the good reputation and local dealer. My buddy has a V Plow and strongly suggests I go that route. Per BOSS' selector, I can only mount a 7'6" V-Plow due to the FGAWR. I have never plowed with a truck. I have read on some of the forums the 7'6" is too narrow and suggested going to a 8'2". I won't be driving any distance with the plow up front. Recommendations/opinions?

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Your truck will carry an 8'2" with ease.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I would put an 8' minimum but i run a 9' and sometimes its too small. Is your truck crew cab or longbed? Theres isnt a huge price difference

4. rf2014

rf2014 Junior Member

It is a quad cab short bed. I see there is only 70 lbs difference between the 7'6" and 8'2" BOSS but with it hanging out there must be enough to exceed the FGAWR.

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Yeah just toss some timbrens on it. It's because you have a diesel. Diesel is heavier.

You'll be fine

6. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I'd definitly go with the 8'2" v blade.

I have an 07 dodge ram quad cab 1500 and I'm running the 7'6" v blade with no problems. depending on when I upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck I will be upgrading to at least an 8'2" v blade.